10 pound redfish

karstopo

Reaction score
Got out for a little bit this afternoon. Pretty cloudy it was, but the redfish were visible from the launch. A big one was waking 15 feet of my bow. I think he knew something was not quite right, but I made a lucky 25' cast as he detoured around me and into the path of the crack fly.

Boom! 10 minutes or so later, I held my best red to date on the fly. 10 pounds and 29" .

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
I caught one more at 23”. Whiffed on a few more. Challenging lighting and some tenacious mosquitoes added a degree or two of difficulty. Olive crack got it done. I tied them on Tuesday, it’s better if they are fresh. In the water by 2 pm out by 4 pm. Too much concentration on hard to see and fool fish wore me out.

markfrid

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm drooling! Not just for the great fishing ..... Redfish fillets on the grill, lots of butter. Wow. A feast fit for a king!!

Mark

karstopo

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm drooling! Not just for the great fishing ..... Redfish fillets on the grill, lots of butter. Wow. A feast fit for a king!!

Mark
I retained the 23” fish, but let the bigger one go. I would have had to use my tag since it was over the Texas 20-28” slot. Plus, I like the smaller fish better for the table.

We eat a good amount of fish so it won’t be wasted. We are about due for fish tacos and redfish is ideal for those.

denver1911

Reaction score
Great job!!! 10 lb fish. Solo. From the yak. On a fly. That's tough to top.

I landed a 40" fish on the fly in October. It was a sight-cast, but was to a pod of fish in 20' of water, from the bow of a skiff, with a guide. Yes, it was a nice fish, but was not near the accomplishment you made!

karstopo

Reaction score
Great job!!! 10 lb fish. Solo. From the yak. On a fly. That's tough to top.

I landed a 40" fish on the fly in October. It was a sight-cast, but was to a pod of fish in 20' of water, from the bow of a skiff, with a guide. Yes, it was a nice fish, but was not near the accomplishment you made!
I’m dying to get a big bull red like what you are talking about. I have a place, big fish are often there, but it takes a boat and it’s a tricky spot conditions wise. My friend has the boat, but we haven’t had the time. Maybe in 2018.

The nice thing about my Commander kayak is it isn’t an ordeal to get out or take a lot of time or planning to make arrangements. I fish like I’m in a skiff meaning I scout and paddle and pole and cast from the standing position. The range ain’t so great.

It’s helped that I’ve fished these areas over and over again year around. I get to know some patterns. I won’t say I’ve got it all down pat, but sometimes I get it right. On the 10 pound fish, based on past experience and how close plus how the fish was behaving I would have put my chance at getting a take even with a good shot at less than 25%. Still, you have to take the shot. I miss plenty of uncontested layups and occasionally hit the tough one at the buzzer.

denver1911

Reaction score
Good stuff karstopo! Always enjoy reading your red fish adventures. Thanks for sharing them.
Same here! I only wish I lived close enough to the waters you fish to drag my kayak out and follow you around :).