Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default Is November a good time of year to Redfish fish in Louisiana?

My buddies and I would like to go Redfish fishing in Louisiana this year.

Is November a good time to go?

We would like to fish with a guide for about three days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

P.S. I have this terrible feeling I already asked this question, but I can't remember the answer and I can't find the post. Gawd, I hate getting old.

Default Re: Is November a good time of year to Redfish fish in Louisiana?

The fall is usually a good time anyplace they're found, so no reason it wouldn't be in LA. I've never fished there however. It's a good time here in SC. It would be best to contact a couple of guides who fish where you want to go & ask them the best time of year. They're going to know better than anyone.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

3. Likes myt1, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Some of the Texas fly guides like Scott Null, Baron Boyette and Jeremy Chavez head to Louisiana to guide in the winter. I’m not sure exactly when and why on the timing, but on their websites they touch upon it. One mentions December -February, another January and February.

I’m pretty sure redfish are active in November there as they are in Texas. Maybe the deep winter is the prime time for the big bulls in LA.

5. Likes myt1, mcnerney liked this post

Winter is a great time to fish for redfish, they move in close to the marshes and shorelines. I grew up south of New Orleans along the Mississippi river and winter was my favorite time to fish.
    SaveBristolBay.org
    Outdoor Alliance
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

7. Likes mcnerney, myt1 liked this post

Late fall is prime time redfish season on the upper gulf coast. My favorite time of year to fish for them. The bigger mature fish move in late spring through summer. I'm not a fan of the bigger fish. On redfish and specks I'm all over the catch and release (to the grill or frying pan). Not a fan of catching bull reds or little school specks. Much rather catch slot reds or rat reds any day. The slot fish and rat reds move in to the bayous and marshes so you're out of the choppy water if the wind is blowing. Pretty much anywhere from Delacroix down to Venice on either side of the river is going to be smoking with redfish and specks that time of year. I used to fish down there every fall with a friend from work. We'd drive down to Delacroix, rent a camp and fish the marsh and bayous from there to SW Pass for two weeks.

Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"

"Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"