Lake Fishing

karstopo

Reaction score
My friend Rick and I got out for a couple of hours on a windy and warm Saturday morning. The largemouth bass went crazy for his scented plastic worms including the big fish of the day.

I did pretty well on a Chartreuse and black Balanced Leech. My big fish matched his in size, but it was a channel catfish instead of a bass. We only had a little bit of time before the wind and prior commitments drove us off the water. Fishing was outstanding overall with a lot, about 40, mostly of 1 1/2 to 2 pound type of fish being caught.

I’m going to tie up some plus sized leeches and see where those take me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

littledavid123

Reaction score
Was Rick fishing the worm with a flyrod, not that it matters, only curious? With every new report on the mystery lake it appears you're catching more fish. Are you keeping a journal of dates, water temps, flies and fish caught? Would be interesting to see if a definite pattern emerges.

Wouldn't give out your address or the lake will soon be swarmed with Gopro wannabe's. :D

Dave

Dave

karstopo

Reaction score
Was Rick fishing the worm with a flyrod, not that it matters, only curious? With every new report on the mystery lake it appears you're catching more fish. Are you keeping a journal of dates, water temps, flies and fish caught? Would be interesting to see if a definite pattern emerges.
Wouldn't give out your address or the lake will soon be swarmed with Gopro wannabe's. :D

Dave

Dave
Rick was traumatized by a fly casting instructor. I’m not sure what happened, but he’s sworn off ever trying it again.

Lake is private which probably accounts for it being so fishy. I lived on the lake for a time as a teenager and now again. Almost everyone practices catch and release. A lot of people that have fished all over agree it’s a great bass lake for numbers of fish caught.

I don’t keep a journal for the lake. I do for saltwater. The lake is a laboratory for me to test flies. Someday, I’m going to break out and fish some other public freshwater.

The public saltwater around here is my true love. The lake keeps me in the game when I can’t make it out to the salt.

karstopo

Reaction score
It was pretty ridiculous out there this afternoon with a fish just about every cast. No monsters except the one Rick lost at the boat that we both guessed went 9# plus.

His plastic worms still out fished my leeches, but I was piloting the boat and never got in as many casts.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mudduck

Reaction score
How do you fish those balanced leeches for bass? Just strip or under an indicator? I just tied up a bunch and am looking forward to using them.

Last edited:

karstopo

Reaction score
I briefly tried an indicator, but got very little interest in that from the fish. A long time ago, I used to fish Crappie jigs suspended under a cork in this same lake and do well on the bass, about the same time of year. An indicator might have worked and may still work, I just didn’t stick with it.

I toss the balanced leeches close to the shoreline and mostly bring them in as slow as I dare with the snags to consider. I can see some of the snags and avoid them and have also weighted some of Leeches with tiny tungsten beads, 3/32” is the smallest bead I’ve tried. Balanced leeches seem to be a bit more weedless than a woolly bugger for whatever reason. I know the Balanced Leeches always ride hook point up. They swim differently than a bead head bugger. I’ve also tried varying how I strip. Long fast strips with a pause sometimes stimulates a bite.

So far, I’ve only tied on 90 degree hooks, sizes 6 -1. I use size one gamakatsu and size 2 daiichi hooks on most. If I’m after bass, these sizes keep sunfish away.. I may try a 1/0 hook soon. I use #20 pins and just got some #24 pins that I’m going to try on the bigger hooks.

The deer hair diver bite has really taken off on the lake so I’ve hardly tried the leeches since then.

I’d try an indicator if you are inclined to. I definitely didn’t give them a fair shot. I only had a small plastic one intended for spinning gear and those don’t cast like I would want. I think I tried about a hundred, hundred fifty yards of shoreline with an indicator with no fish. I tried different depths on the indicator. I let it rest in the minimal waves. I tried a few twitches. It would be very rare to fish that much shoreline without an indicator and not pick up a fish or two.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Short Sleeves....Shorts....Open water!? What is this sorcery?

In my bitter jealousy I'm calling shenanigans on that last one, that's the classic "make a snag look like you hooked into a ten pounder" pose. :behindsofa::bounce:

Stoopid NY weather has me jealous. I could do without hearing the words "Nor'Easter" for a good 10 months.

All kidding aside, again awesome fish Karstapo! :thmbup:

dennyk

Reaction score
My friend Rick and I got out for a couple of hours on a windy and warm Saturday morning. The largemouth bass went crazy for his scented plastic worms including the big fish of the day.

I did pretty well on a Chartreuse and black Balanced Leech. My big fish matched his in size, but it was a channel catfish instead of a bass. We only had a little bit of time before the wind and prior commitments drove us off the water. Fishing was outstanding overall with a lot, about 40, mostly of 1 1/2 to 2 pound type of fish being caught.

I’m going to tie up some plus sized leeches and see where those take me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
karstopo, are you using bunny strips for your leech patterns. I'm interested in tying some up. It's gotta get warm here in Michigan sometime.

karstopo

Reaction score
karstopo, are you using bunny strips for your leech patterns. I'm interested in tying some up. It's gotta get warm here in Michigan sometime.
Tail, I'm using Marabou, like on a woolly bugger and pretty sparse. I usually forgo any flash.

I make a dubbing loop and on most of them I'm using Arizona Simi Seal. It's a combination natural and synthetic material blend. Blacks, Purples, Olives, Whites, it comes in about 50 colors. It comes alive in the water and looks different swimming than bugger hackle.

I ordered some goat fur and want to try that. I've used ice dub, but think the Simi Seal is better for bass.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Tail, I'm using Marabou, like on a woolly bugger and pretty sparse. I usually forgo any flash.

I make a dubbing loop and on most of them I'm using Arizona Simi Seal. It's a combination natural and synthetic material blend. Blacks, Purples, Olives, Whites, it comes in about 50 colors. It comes alive in the water and looks different swimming than bugger hackle.

I ordered some goat fur and want to try that. I've used ice dub, but think the Simi Seal is better for bass.

Thanks for all these leech tying tips.I am going to tie a few to try in my local waters.I use the simi seal in my streamers and really like it.I just started using the angora goat and i think it may be even better for the action in the water.The goat hair is finer and longer fibers and brushes out well.The only thing is it does not have the flash in it like the seal so i do a little mixing between the 2.