Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Gray day on the Medina

Saturday, I headed up to the trusty Medina with plans to use the float tube. Flooding has changed the shape of the river in the spots I was planning to float, so I hoofed it instead. Found a spot I've not fished before, rigged up the short 5 with the line for the long 6 I planned on swingin from the tube, and climbed in.

I quickly caught a Rio Grande Perch on a popper, but he was quicker than the photographer. This guy wasn't though.

River got prettier as it got skinnier.

Got about a mile away from where I started and found a much bigger pool with some deep water and cover off to one side. I tied on a popper to poke in the open spots in the cover, and of course a fleet of 2' long bottom feeders cruise up. Caught a few sunfish on the popper but nothing sizeable.
    I went a bit further up and found a shaded spot with less to hang on underneath it. I tied on a brass eyed Clouser colored like a Striper, and after a few casts hooked into this-

Good times on a 5wt.

Oh yeah, can anybody explain this? The cactus really was growing out of a dead tree-

Very pretty little run with a few fish in the pool at the bottom.

Another storm was coming in, so I headed back to the car. Had this gorgeous site waiting for me near the car-

Not my most action packed day on that river, but still good stuff. Big fish on a 5wt are damn fun.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gray day on the Medina

Cliff

Sounds like a great day on the water!! Nice pics thanks for sharing with those of who have been too busy to get out lately.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Big Cliff - Great pics...brought back alot of memories. I used to fish the Medina when I was stationed at Kelly AFB in the late 70's.....Being a poor GI I had to find fun on the cheap...my wife and baby son would go with me... I would fish and then we would have a picnic. Now the son is 34...time flies..but your pics brought back some wonderful memories....Thanks

Cliff is that north or south of hwy 90?

Bruce

WAY north. Just upstream of Bandera.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.