Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Default Vacation to Austin, TX

I will be visiting Austin in June, and would like to get some fishing done. I've done barely any bass fishing in my life, does anyone have advice at what type of flies I need to bring?

Also, are any of the creeks/rivers in Austin worth fishing? I see lots of little streams and the Colorado River right in town...are these worth fishing for bass/panfish?

Thank you.

Default Re: Vacation to Austin, TX

Book a trip with Alvin Dedeaux.
    Zackdog lives.

3. Likes wf0, littledavid123 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly307 View Post
    I will be visiting Austin in June, and would like to get some fishing done. I've done barely any bass fishing in my life, does anyone have advice at what type of flies I need to bring?

Also, are any of the creeks/rivers in Austin worth fishing? I see lots of little streams and the Colorado River right in town...are these worth fishing for bass/panfish?

Thank you.
    The suggestion for Alvin is a good one. He can float you down the Colorado for bass in areas you can't easily access.

You can also fish it yourself. Colorados the closest for fishing. But could also travel short distances to fish the Guadalupe in New Braunfels, San Marcos river in San Marcos, Llano river, Perdernales River, Brushy Creek in Round Rock. As for flies, most bass flies work (popper frogs, streamers like minnows, wooly buggers, etc).

@cigarsnjeeps

5. Likes dryfly307, wf0, littledavid123 liked this post

All good water, fly, & guide recos above - Alvin & All Water Guides are top-notch - I've known some of them for over 25yrs.

For DIY in town, I'd also recommend renting a canoe/SUP below Barton Springs pool and fishing the creek mouth as it dumps into Ladybird Lake. Big wary bass in crystal clear waters. 5wt will work, but 6 is better for bass. A 3wt works great for targeting feisty bluegill. Sinking line will work better for getting down to those bigger babies. Add crawfish pattern, pine squirrel or rabbit zonker patterns to previously mentioned flies. Panfish poppers and white WB or clousers are also solid producers. Weekdays/early/late are better as canoe/kayak traffic can get heavy.

Lake Austin, immediately upstream, used to regularly produce 8-12lb bass, until they introduced grass carp which absolutely decimated the vegetation (now consistently measured at 0%) and habitat. With recent floods, they have now made their way downstream and are doing the same to Ladybird Lake. You can target them or our other carp species.

PM for more.

7. Thanks dryfly307 thanked for this post
    Likes littledavid123, Cigarsnjeeps liked this post
  8. Default Re: Vacation to Austin, TX

My friend and I did a float trip with Alvin that was great. There are also places in bastrop to rent a kayak, and go at it by yourself. Bastrop River Company is the one we used. The Llano is nice too with east access for walk/wade. About a 90 minute drive.

9. Thanks dryfly307 thanked for this post

I had just sent dryfly a PM, giving him a heads up about the local fauna. Low and behold, I am out wet-wade fishing a local creek with my 6yo daughter (I catch, she releases) this weekend, and sure enough, a water moccasin appeared downstream, eyeing us, coming our way, riding high on the water. I do my best to dissuade him (eyeroll: "it's a girl, daddy") from coming closer, slapping the water in his face with my fly, but he didn't care and kept coming. I had to grab my daughter and high tail it for dry ground (area with deep water, steep banks, thick brush, no trail). Threw some large sticks at him, and still he advanced! Most other snakes would have cleared out by now, but he came right up and hid beneath the rock we were camped out on. I got a good look at him and confirmed cottonmouth markings. We eventually made it out, but not without some Hibby-jibbies!

11. Likes markg52, dryfly307 liked this post