Back on the Current river

spm

Reaction score
My son and I met for a couple days on the Current river in the Ozarks. The weather was beautiful. They had a couple thunderstorms come though the night before, so the water was a little stained, but not bad. The fish were cooperative and we netted several nice Rainbows.

I never get tired of this view.
20180505_151555 (2).jpg

Okay, I'm working on inserting some fish pictures into my posts. I started carrying an old cellphone on the river. I know the pics aren't especially good, but I'm working on it. And remember, this is while holding the rod and trying to release the fish unharmed.

My attempt at an action shot.
20140812_120104 (2).jpg

My son, Brett.
20140812_082832 (2).jpg

I'll continue practicing my photography.
Thanks for looking.
steve

Attachments

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That sure is a pretty river Steve, among many regrets I have is that I have rode through Arkansas but never fished there. Whenever I see pictures of the Ozark Mountains I'm reminded of what I missed out on. I'll be watching for more........

brownbass

Reaction score
That sure is a pretty river Steve, among many regrets I have is that I have rode through Arkansas but never fished there. Whenever I see pictures of the Ozark Mountains I'm reminded of what I missed out on. I'll be watching for more........
This is the Missouri Ozarks. I recognize the run, Tan Vat in the first picture and I believe the depth gauge behind the gentleman in another. This is one of my frequented rivers. I was down there last week and the water was much clearer. I managed a few nice fish but they were selective. I will be back this Thursday. What were they taking? Nice pictures.

spm

Reaction score
Yes, Tan Vat.
Nothing exotic; Crackleback, Para Adams, Bivisible, Copper John.

Good luck, on Thursday.
steve

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Looks great! I had given some thought to hitting the Current this summer, but another locale works out better. Your pics tell me to keep it on my bucket list.

spm

Reaction score
Ard,
These Ozarks streams are all spring-fed, so cold and clear. Lots of limestone bluffs and caves. As they say around here, the Ozark mountains are much older than, and were once higher than the Rockies and, have been worn down by the elements like old mule's teeth. Right brownbass?

steve

spm

Reaction score
Looks great! I had given some thought to hitting the Current this summer, but another locale works out better. Your pics tell me to keep it on my bucket list.
Keep it on your bucket list, Fr. It would probably be about 1.5 hrs further for you than Bennett.

steve

brownbass

Reaction score
Ard,
These Ozarks streams are all spring-fed, so cold and clear. Lots of limestone bluffs and caves. As they say around here, the Ozark mountains are much older than, and were once higher than the Rockies and, have been worn down by the elements like old mule's teeth. Right brownbass?

steve
I am not sure how to take that. Was that a crack about my age? You're right though, I floated a number of the Ozark rivers and haven't come close to fishing many of them. The Ozarks streams can be tough fishing at times but still have to go back.

spm

Reaction score
I am not sure how to take that. Was that a crack about my age? You're right though, I floated a number of the Ozark rivers and haven't come close to fishing many of them. The Ozarks streams can be tough fishing at times but still have to go back.
No, not your age; the age of the Ozarks. I was thinking because you live in Missouri and were familiar with the Ozark mountains, you might have heard that saying. I guess not. Please don't take offense.

steve

brownbass

Reaction score
No offense taken, I was joking. Yes, the Ozark Mountains are ancient. Go to the eastern Ozarks where some of the mountains and streams really show there age, like Johnson Shut-ins or Elephant rocks. Those really show their age. Boulders as big as a house worn round.

turf dawg

Reaction score
I keep saying my wife and I need to make the trip but just never do. For those that have fished this river from the Baptist camp down, would you say it is worth a 8 hr drive when I can hit New Mexico in 10? I have heard the river is like the old Spillway creek I loved fishing in Beavers Bend OK before the floods.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Beautiful part of the country. A few years ago a couple buddies and I did a backpacking trip and camped and fished on the Eleven Point river. That was my first real trip out with a fly rod. Could have saved a ton of money over the last few years if I had just packed a spin rod. Lol

spm

Reaction score
I keep saying my wife and I need to make the trip but just never do. For those that have fished this river from the Baptist camp down, would you say it is worth a 8 hr drive when I can hit New Mexico in 10? I have heard the river is like the old Spillway creek I loved fishing in Beavers Bend OK before the floods.
From just below Montauk State Park to Cedar Grove, which goes through Baptist Camp, is Blue Ribbon trout water, meaning stricter regulations; flies only, size and quantity restrictions if you want to keep. It's a good river.

I don't know where you're coming from, so can't comment on what you have in NM.

steve

turf dawg

Reaction score
From just below Montauk State Park to Cedar Grove, which goes through Baptist Camp, is Blue Ribbon trout water, meaning stricter regulations; flies only, size and quantity restrictions if you want to keep. It's a good river.

I don't know where you're coming from, so can't comment on what you have in NM.

steve
Steve, we would be coming from Gainesville TX. That is right where I35 crosses into Oklahoma. I'm fine with the regulations because we are catch and release only with the majority of my flies being on barbless hooks and the others have the barbs bent. Only problem is I would have to get my wife some different wading boots.

spm

Reaction score
Steve, we would be coming from Gainesville TX. That is right where I35 crosses into Oklahoma. I'm fine with the regulations because we are catch and release only with the majority of my flies being on barbless hooks and the others have the barbs bent. Only problem is I would have to get my wife some different wading boots.
Ah. Forgot to mention, but you obviously already checked, felt soles are illegal in MO.

steve

turf dawg

Reaction score
Steve, sorry to keep bothering you but is there any places [cabins] to stay close to the river?