Lower Mt. Fort River trip. 7/11/2018

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Went to the Lower Mt. Fork River again this week and had a great time. Weather was pretty nice for the most part, but did have several bouts with storms which was good because Broken Bow Lake is about 7' below it's normal summertime level. We need the moisture.
The water temps coming out of the lake are great right now and hope it continues. It was showing 57 degrees on my thermometer, which this time last year, it was already up in the upper 60s to low 70s. Off to a great start on our summertime water temps and hope they stay that way.
Fished Zone II in the early a.m. and didn't do that good, but did see a couple of really nice trout hit my fly. Missed several that morning in that area, so that's encouraging that the trout are doing well with the cool water. Went up to Zone I next and missed several trout, but nothing large. Also caught some very tiny rainbow trout of about an inch or two. They must have stocked some brooder trout back in May or early June. Glad to see they did their thing and got a good spawn. They were scattered all up and down Spillway through the Evening Hole area. After taking several breaks throughout the day due to the storms, I fished Spillway later on that afternoon and also did good there as well. Lots of the little guys and some decent bows as well.
Would like to thank the Beaver's Bend State Park personnel for the quick response when I called in on some people fishing illegally in a Red Zone. I informed the people as nice as I could that they were fishing illegally, but they just ignored me and kept on fishing. I called the park office and in no time, a park ranger showed up. I told him about the matter and he quickly took care of it. Many thanks again.

Donny

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Donny

Looks like you had a very good outing, congrats! Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos, especially that thunderstorm.
Its sad to see that some folks won't obey the laws, but I'm glad you were able to correct the situation.

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Thanks Larry! I think I enjoyed the scenery and the weather as I did the fishing. It was just one of those layed back type of days where it wasn’t terribly important on how the fishing was.
Yes. I don’t run across too many people that just ignore you about the regs, but there’s always a few unfortunately.

Donny

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you know that even if a post goes by that I don't comment on I always enjoy these Donny. You have got to be accessing the most beautiful part of the state right there.

Ard

okflyfisher

Reaction score
I hope you know that even if a post goes by that I don't comment on I always enjoy these Donny. You have got to be accessing the most beautiful part of the state right there.

Ard
Thank you very much!! Appreciate that! Yes, at least I kind of think so about the prettiest part of the state. I'm definitely a mountain person and southeastern Oklahoma does have some that are covered in thick forest. Not the Rockies, but still very beautiful and thanks again!

Donny

jonbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the good report, Donny. I'm going to get back to the LMF just as soon as I can, maybe in August? I got me a tight-line rig I've discussed on other threads. I can't wait to try it out on Spillway Creek, the very place for which I specifically purchased it. Glad the summertime temps in the river are reasonable. Take care,
jonbo

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Thanks for the good report, Donny. I'm going to get back to the LMF just as soon as I can, maybe in August? I got me a tight-line rig I've discussed on other threads. I can't wait to try it out on Spillway Creek, the very place for which I specifically purchased it. Glad the summertime temps in the river are reasonable. Take care,
jonbo
Jon,
You're welcome! I'll be interested to see how your rig works on Spillway Creek. Hope it meets your expectations. Good luck on that!!
Yes on the water temps! I was really surprised to see(and feel with my toes!) on the very cool water. Sure a big change from this time last year! I'm thinking maybe the reason was from all the flooding and very cold runoff we had in February? Just a guess. Thinking maybe the lake got full of some very cold water. Whatever the case, just glad to see it. I think the water temps will still be good in August as well, so you should do very well then.

Donny

turf dawg

Reaction score
Thanks Larry! I think I enjoyed the scenery and the weather as I did the fishing. It was just one of those layed back type of days where it wasn’t terribly important on how the fishing was.
Yes. I don’t run across too many people that just ignore you about the regs, but there’s always a few unfortunately.

Donny
I'm SOOOOOO happy that the Park Rangers came and done something. I am wondering if all the complaining finally helped. It made me sick to my stomach last time to see so many small browns going home with bait fishermen at the Bluffs.

Glad you had a nice and safe trip.