Calcasieu Lake, Louisiana - October fly fishing

chicagojohn

Reaction score
I’m set for a trip to fish Calcasieu Lake in October.

I’m wondering if anyone ever uses an intermediate tip for redfish and speckled trout?

I have an Orvis hydros all around floating line and a scientific angler sonar titan taper intermediate clear tip that sinks at about 1-1.5ips. Are there any reasons the intermediate tip won’t work well?

I will bring a 9 weight loomis NRX and an Abel SDS 9/10 with me.

Any thoughts on line choice, flies, and fly fishing Calcasieu Lake in general?

dillon

Reaction score
If casting and retrieving streamers in still water a full sinking intermediate line is the way to go. I like Cortland's camo line. However, they have some new full sinking intermediates as well.

The Cortland intermediate sink tip was designed by Denny Rickards for sight casting to fish that are feeding just below the surface. Full sinkers are meant to strip back to the boat, whereas the sink tip version is for stripping a short distance. It's much easier to pick up and recast than a full sinker. But a full sinking line will keep the fly in a horizontal line longer. Sounds like a fun trip. I hope you will write a report about it.

Freshwater Fly Line | 5

karstopo

Reaction score
I really don’t know how deep calcasieu is, I do believe people wade fish there.

I do the vast majority of my saltwater fly fishing for Speckled trout and redfish with weight forward floating line in water from inches to about 5-6 feet. If it’s deep and the fish are deeper, then I might and have turned to a sink tip like a teeny line. I sight fish and fish structure like grass lines, oyster reef margins, marsh drains, etc. Calcasieu might have similar structure, I don’t know.

I rely on slightly longer fluorocarbon leaders and flies lightly weighted with tungsten once the water is getting much over three feet and the fish are near the bottom structure. Tungsten sinks much faster than lead or brass of equivalent weight and allows me to use less overall weight for a faster sink rate. The problem with sink tips and sinking line around oyster reef is that the line will tend to contact the sharp snagging shell before the fly gets in the zone. Around oyster shell and other bottom obstructions, I’ve found I often want my fly to be the lowest thing to avoid hanging up leaders or lines. I don’t know if calcasieu has oyster shell or not, it’s just something to consider.

Flies that ride hook point up are very nice in shallow areas with grass and shell. Weed guards are okay, but I try to not use them as they interfere with hook sets in my experience. Redfish Crack, redfish Ritalin are a couple of Texas favorites and I know one member here uses redfish crack over in Mississippi.

But yes, people use sink tips and intermediate lines. I’ve used both. I find pulling up the sinking portion of a sink tip from the depths not as enjoyable as fishing floating line so I avoid them where possible. Slow Intermediates sound better and more user friendly. I’ve used an intermediate clear tip and that was enjoyable. It’s good that you are taking several lines. I’d have a variety flies with different levels of buoyancy from floating to ones lightly weighted with tungsten. I’d avoid too many big super heavy lead weighted patterns as they aren’t much fun to sling. You might have to tie your own tungsten patterns as they can be hard to find in the saltwater selections.

chicagojohn

Reaction score
Great feedback, thank you. I will do a write up if all goes well.

The lake averages 4-5 feet deep. My thoughts on the SA clear tip is stealth and just enough to get under the surface in case of wind. Also I won’t need to run much of a leader. If I hit wind, I’m covered. If I want to blind cast, I’m covered, since an intermediate would be more useful. I will reach out to the guide service and a few fly shops too, but wanted the local knowledge. This is a great start.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I used to fish the Mississippi coast and the nearby marshes in Louisiana with a cortland 444 ghost tip line.
that line had a 10' intermediate tip. It fished more like a floater than a slow sinker. I could even fish poppers
if i kept them moving. I still used full length leaders.