Blue River, Oklahoma 11/12/2018

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post about one of our winter trout fisheries that we have here in Oklahoma. The Blue River is a beautiful, spring fed stream that is stocked with trout from November 1st to March 31st. My buddy and I had a grand day on the river with plenty of willing trout and outstanding weather. It was clear, sunny, light winds with balmy temperatures. Caught most of the trout on small midges fished deep, but also had a few hit our dries. The river was running a little higher than normal, but oh so clear and pretty. The recent floods did a number on the stream side vegetation, but the river itself is basically the same with few changes. Again. We had a grand time and will be ready to go again soon.

Donny

karstopo

Reaction score
That is a pretty river. Do any of the fish holdover there or it just a little too hot?

I’ve heard that a few fish holdover in the San Marcos River here in Texas from winter stockings. The San Marcos begins as a spring feed river with a large spring in the town of San Marcos.

Thanks for the photos. It’s always nice to get out in the sun this time of year,

turf dawg

Reaction score
Love your pics as always!
Was the bottom photo in campground area 1?
I went last Thursday and never made it out of the crossing area. Like you said water was great and tons of fish.

karstopo, it's my understanding none make it

okflyfisher

Reaction score
That is a pretty river. Do any of the fish holdover there or it just a little too hot?

I’ve heard that a few fish holdover in the San Marcos River here in Texas from winter stockings. The San Marcos begins as a spring feed river with a large spring in the town of San Marcos.

Thanks for the photos. It’s always nice to get out in the sun this time of year,
Karstopo,
For the most part, the river just gets too hot in the summer for the trout to live, but I have seen pictures where a few trout have been caught as late as July. I'm sure in "milder" summers with good water flows, a few will hunker down in the deeper holes and make it through the summer, but again, for the most part, they don't make it.
Yes! I'm a more of a summertime type of fly fisher so I like to take advantage of the bright sunny and balmy days in the winter when I can!

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Donny

Thanks for sharing those great photos of the Blue! Boy that water is extremely clear!
Thanks Larry and yes, the water is as pretty and clear as I've seen in it in awhile. It has such a great strong flow to it thanks to the generous rainy summer we had(not to mention the massive floods). It really gave the river a good flushing and it is just so clean and clear. I hope to make it back down there next week. Maybe I'll have fish photos for the next post. LOL.

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Love your pics as always!
Was the bottom photo in campground area 1?
I went last Thursday and never made it out of the crossing area. Like you said water was great and tons of fish.

karstopo, it's my understanding none make it
If Area 1 is down towards the end of the fishing area, then yes. I should know of all the areas and where they are located, but..... I've only been fishing the river for 50 years, so give me a break. LOL!!!!:D

myster

Reaction score
Howdy!
I live in the DFW area and am looking to make it up there this winter. It'd be a quick 1 day trip, out and back. I started fly fishing last year, and only warm water species at that. I've never thrown to trout, but am looking to change that soon.

Are there any shops in the area, websites with maps and rules & regs you would suggest I take a look at before heading up there?

I've got a 7'4" 4wt and a 9" 6wt, but am looking to add a 5wt here shortly. Is there a particular rig you would suggest for Blue River?

Great pics and thanks for the report!

turf dawg

Reaction score
Howdy!
I live in the DFW area and am looking to make it up there this winter. It'd be a quick 1 day trip, out and back. I started fly fishing last year, and only warm water species at that. I've never thrown to trout, but am looking to change that soon.

Are there any shops in the area, websites with maps and rules & regs you would suggest I take a look at before heading up there?

I've got a 7'4" 4wt and a 9" 6wt, but am looking to add a 5wt here shortly. Is there a particular rig you would suggest for Blue River?

There is really not any shops. Scotty's One Stop did sell a few flies but not many. You have to have a year Oklahoma license or a Conservation pass with a one or six day license to fish there. Olive woolly buggers are always a good bet. If you are on Facebook look up Blue River Fly Fishers. It's a pretty spread out place and they do not allow guides so it takes awhile and many trips to learn it.

jonbo

Reaction score
Howdy!

To add to what TD said, you can do all that on-line, I'm pretty sure.

Hey Donny, I just now found this thread. Very nice pictures. I'm glad you had a good time. I wish you could make Trout Camp with us next week. From what I understand, though, there's not supposed to be much in the way of sunshine this year. Oh, well. Fishing can be very good in the rain. I know. Later.

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Howdy!

myster,
Your 6 wt. will be just fine on the Blue, but I do recommend getting the 5 wt, or smaller, if you can. Most of the trout are just stocker size, but there are the occasional large brooder thrown in, and especially after the first of the year. The state then, gets their trout from a different vendor and for the most part, they are very nice ones.
Buggers and nymphs always work fine for trout on the Blue, especially for the fresh stockers. For the ones that "holdover", they can get very accustom to the river food and dry fly fishing can be fantastic on a mild, balmy day. Just try the dry flies in very small sizes because it's mainly midges that hatch on the Blue during the cold weather months. Also, try small emerger midges and nymphs for subsurface. They too(especially right now since the water is drinking water clear) can be very productive.
Scotty's does sell a few flies, but I recommend purchasing your other fly fishing needs before heading to the Blue.
Good luck and please post a report when you make it to the Blue!! Good luck!

Donny

okflyfisher

Reaction score
To add to what TD said, you can do all that on-line, I'm pretty sure.

Hey Donny, I just now found this thread. Very nice pictures. I'm glad you had a good time. I wish you could make Trout Camp with us next week. From what I understand, though, there's not supposed to be much in the way of sunshine this year. Oh, well. Fishing can be very good in the rain. I know. Later.
Jon,
Thank you very much on the pictures! I think I enjoy the picture taking as much as the fishing, if not more!
So sorry, but I won't be able to attend the Trout Camp. Maybe next year, but hope everyone has a great time. Sorry for the lack of sunshine, but maybe that will make the fishing better!

turf dawg

Reaction score
Jon,
Thank you very much on the pictures! I think I enjoy the picture taking as much as the fishing, if not more!
So sorry, but I won't be able to attend the Trout Camp. Maybe next year, but hope everyone has a great time. Sorry for the lack of sunshine, but maybe that will make the fishing better!
Jon and I will send you a pic of us huddled up by a fire sipping hot chocolate this weekend. They are calling for wet and cold just like you like it Donny.

okflyfisher

Reaction score
Jon and I will send you a pic of us huddled up by a fire sipping hot chocolate this weekend. They are calling for wet and cold just like you like it Donny.
Cold and wet? Sounds like a perfect time to build a well house! :D