Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Blue River, Oklahoma 11/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by myster View Post
    Howdy!
    I live in the DFW area and am looking to make it up there this winter. It'd be a quick 1 day trip, out and back. I started fly fishing last year, and only warm water species at that. I've never thrown to trout, but am looking to change that soon.

Are there any shops in the area, websites with maps and rules & regs you would suggest I take a look at before heading up there?

I've got a 7'4" 4wt and a 9" 6wt, but am looking to add a 5wt here shortly. Is there a particular rig you would suggest for Blue River?

Great pics and thanks for the report!
    myster,
    Your 6 wt. will be just fine on the Blue, but I do recommend getting the 5 wt, or smaller, if you can. Most of the trout are just stocker size, but there are the occasional large brooder thrown in, and especially after the first of the year. The state then, gets their trout from a different vendor and for the most part, they are very nice ones.
    Buggers and nymphs always work fine for trout on the Blue, especially for the fresh stockers. For the ones that "holdover", they can get very accustom to the river food and dry fly fishing can be fantastic on a mild, balmy day. Just try the dry flies in very small sizes because it's mainly midges that hatch on the Blue during the cold weather months. Also, try small emerger midges and nymphs for subsurface. They too(especially right now since the water is drinking water clear) can be very productive.
    Scotty's does sell a few flies, but I recommend purchasing your other fly fishing needs before heading to the Blue.
    Good luck and please post a report when you make it to the Blue!! Good luck!

Donny

2. Likes mcnerney, myster liked this post
  3. Default Re: Blue River, Oklahoma 11/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by jonbo View Post
    To add to what TD said, you can do all that on-line, I'm pretty sure.

Hey Donny, I just now found this thread. Very nice pictures. I'm glad you had a good time. I wish you could make Trout Camp with us next week. From what I understand, though, there's not supposed to be much in the way of sunshine this year. Oh, well. Fishing can be very good in the rain. I know. Later.
    Jon,
    Thank you very much on the pictures! I think I enjoy the picture taking as much as the fishing, if not more!
    So sorry, but I won't be able to attend the Trout Camp. Maybe next year, but hope everyone has a great time. Sorry for the lack of sunshine, but maybe that will make the fishing better!

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  5. Default Re: Blue River, Oklahoma 11/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    Jon,
    Thank you very much on the pictures! I think I enjoy the picture taking as much as the fishing, if not more!
    So sorry, but I won't be able to attend the Trout Camp. Maybe next year, but hope everyone has a great time. Sorry for the lack of sunshine, but maybe that will make the fishing better!
    Jon and I will send you a pic of us huddled up by a fire sipping hot chocolate this weekend. They are calling for wet and cold just like you like it Donny.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  7. Default Re: Blue River, Oklahoma 11/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by turf dawg View Post
    Jon and I will send you a pic of us huddled up by a fire sipping hot chocolate this weekend. They are calling for wet and cold just like you like it Donny.
    Cold and wet? Sounds like a perfect time to build a well house!

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12