Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Fishing the tail waters of table rock lake below the dam

Does anyone fish the tail waters flowing out of the table rock dam that forms lake Taneycomo? I am heading down in mid April and wonder whether the water flows are usually low enough at that time for wade fishing below the dam. I am not planning to use a boat. Also, any fly patterns that have worked well for you would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, SR

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing the tail waters of table rock lake below the dam

You might try the "Fly Fishing Lake Taneycomo" thread on Facebook. They usually are very forthcoming on whats fishing on the lake on any given day. The lake level depends a lot on the amount of rain and power demands. We have seen some major flooding in the recent past. If the lake isn't fishable Roaring River State Park is about an hour away and there are some small creeks with wild rainbows in that area as well. I haven't fished the area in years but still, try to stay informed.

Blog Entries

I went to the MDC site and found this link for you. Trout: Where to Fish | MDC Hunting and Fishing

4. Likes dennyk liked this post

Thanks everyone. I will check out these sites. Best, SR

6. Likes brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

Srock. Yesterday a 34 lb, 10oz Triploid Brown Tout was taken on a 1/8 oz jig on four pond line. It is a new state record Brown, beating the old record by 6 lbs. Check out the Lily's Landing web site and their Facebook page for more information and pictures. By the way it was released alive and they were able to watch it from the bank for a while to verify it did survive. At first they thought it was a known fish but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Bill

As noted above, it all depends upon how much power they are generating. It can be very wadeable one hour and very unwadeable an hour later. In general, in the spring it could be high if there has been a lot of heavy rain and they need to dump some water out of Table Rock, but if there hasn't been a lot of rain it could be low, as power demands usually aren't too great in April.

Quote Originally Posted by al_a View Post
    As noted above, it all depends upon how much power they are generating. It can be very wadeable one hour and very unwadeable an hour later. In general, in the spring it could be high if there has been a lot of heavy rain and they need to dump some water out of Table Rock, but if there hasn't been a lot of rain it could be low, as power demands usually aren't too great in April.
    I agree, and that is the problem with fishing these tail waters, and that makes it harder to plan a trip in advance. A short antecdote. I was once fishing a trout tail water in a southern state while the generators were off. I decided to go to my car and eat a sandwich for lunch. In about 30 minutes, the generators were back on and the water had risen at least 10 feet completely washing out the fishing. Thank goodness I had not left anything near where I was fishing.

It can be a hit or miss when they generate electricty. One warning is when they sound the horn get out of the water. It raises fast when they open up for generation.

Here is a local forum where you can find some good information. Home - OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
    RJ

11. Likes brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trout stalker View Post
    It can be a hit or miss when they generate electricty. One warning is when they sound the horn get out of the water. It raises fast when they open up for generation.

Here is a local forum where you can find some good information. Home - OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
    What Trout Stalker said. If you here the horn get out as fast as you can. The weatherman said they are predicting some flooding this year because of all the rain we have had, the ground is saturated and they predict a wetter March so come prepared to travel to some smaller streams if you have to.

Bill

How did your trip go? Were you able to wade? The standard wade fishing setup usually involves small scud patterns. Small, meaning 20-24. Sometimes the 18's will do, but the naturals tend to be little. Big fish eat those little flies. If you have a boat, and they are not running more than 2 units, you can sometimes get good wade fishing from some of the islands in the trophy section.

Hope you had a good one.

Mark