Back on the Current river in the Ozarks

spm

Reaction score
This past week, once again, found my friend John and myself on the Current river near Montauk State Park. We had one day of good weather before it turned cold and rainy. Surprisingly, or maybe not, our most productive day was in the cold and rain.

Nothing was happening on the surface, and we were having no success with nymphs. We then switched to streamers; black Bouface, black krystal bugger, and surprisingly for the overcast sky, a white wooly bugger. We hooked up several rainbows and then one really nice brown.

As my New Years resolution, I'm trying to incorporate pictures into my posts. This was made easier since John and I fished fairly close together.
IMG-0741.jpg

IMG-0738 (1).jpg

Montauk 100515.jpg

Of course no fish story would be complete without "The one that got away". John hooked a rainbow we estimated to be 24" or better, but couldn't get him close enough to net, so he handed me his net and told me to net it. Now I'm back to juggling a camera, his net, and my own rod when the fish breaks loose just 6" from the net. And no, I didn't get a picture of that one. He still hasn't forgiven me and claims he can count that as a "Caught fish". I'll let you decide.

Thanks,
steve

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Steve :)

If you both saw it and you agree on probable size then I'd say it was caught. I know that the act of touching is the gold standard but 6 feet from the net is pretty caught.

spm

Reaction score
Meadolark. There always seems to be one,

Ard, I'll pass that along, although I'm not sure I can survive the "I told you so".

Bill, I love the Current, too. BTW, I passed through your town a week ago on my way to Washington, MO. I waved to you. Did you see me?

Thanks,
steve

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I wrote a long and often ignored post about netting fish. The bottom line is that the net man has to get low. Get low as in on the knees and it is the job of the angler to guide the fish to the net. If you are the net man and you are low, very often the surface glare prevents you from seeing the fish. When this is happening the angler must lift the fish enough so that some part, nose - dorsal fin or tail breaks the surface when it is close. The net man needs to tell the angler if he is having trouble due to glare and through communication you work as a team.

It also helps if the net is already in the water and stationary as the fish is led to it. Many fish are lost when a net man moves toward them. The fish is already terrified and when it sees the dark figure coming toward it and the net this is when they use that last bit of energy and hooks come loose or leaders pop. I've only had 2 fish escape when close to the net in the past half dozen years or so. When it happens to me it is almost always on the line of someone who hired me because they thought I might know what I am doing. Now I have a "when you have one hooked" conversation with folks before they even make the first cast.

Get low and stay still ;)

spm

Reaction score
I wrote a long and often ignored post about netting fish. The bottom line is that the net man has to get low. Get low as in on the knees and it is the job of the angler to guide the fish to the net. If you are the net man and you are low, very often the surface glare prevents you from seeing the fish. When this is happening the angler must lift the fish enough so that some part, nose - dorsal fin or tail breaks the surface when it is close. The net man needs to tell the angler if he is having trouble due to glare and through communication you work as a team.

It also helps if the net is already in the water and stationary as the fish is led to it. Many fish are lost when a net man moves toward them. The fish is already terrified and when it sees the dark figure coming toward it and the net this is when they use that last bit of energy and hooks come loose or leaders pop. I've only had 2 fish escape when close to the net in the past half dozen years or so. When it happens to me it is almost always on the line of someone who hired me because they thought I might know what I am doing. Now I have a "when you have one hooked" conversation with folks before they even make the first cast.

Good points, Ard. I'm sure I was not low enough in the water and I probably did spook the fish, as you said. I won't be passing this along, as it would only add to the grief I'm already getting. The is the first time we had ever tried that. I'll remember your comments for the future.

Thanks,
steve

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that if you were to try it when there are 2 people it may ring true for you :) Some of the things I try to share are the result of repeated failures I've weathered and in this case, my own mistakes combined with observing lots of others trying to net fish. I started to understand the get low concept back in the 80's but somehow didn't think it applied to salmon. After watching 4 men with those huge long handled salmon nets chase a fish around in a tail-out back in 2010 I was sure it did...…...That was one of the more amusing fish netting shows I've ever had the pleasure of seeing :)

trout stalker

Reaction score
Great story. The week of May 5th I am palnning a trip down to Montauk for 3 nights. I really love fishing the Current River down by Baptitst.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics. Beautiful fish and photography! Now I don't want to tell you what to do, but you were on the net so you bear some responsibility here. That fish was caught, and I'd suggest you start telling people he knows it was at least 25" if you ever saw one Good fishing buddies are hard to find so don't screw this up man. :)

kevind62

Reaction score
Won't have to worry about that with me Ard. The conversation would be more like, "when you finally hook something, wake me up." :D

Now I have a "when you have one hooked" conversation with folks before they even make the first cast.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

I don't know if you hire guides when you travel and if you do maybe they have a method that they employ if and when someone hooks a true fish of a lifetime. What I described, the concept of the net man and angler working as a team has proven itself over and over for me. When the net man tries going after the fish the chance of a catastrophe runs high especially with big strong fish. Once the guy with the rod (angler) has the fish hooked and is playing it in toward shore he is in the position to lead the fish wherever he wants to guide it. In this case you guide that fish directly to the net.

One thing I need to explain is that I don't play fish to the point of exhaustion so we are often bringing in what they call hot fish. This makes the net work really important. I've seen the videos where by the time the fish, trout - salmon etc. is on its side like a piece of snagged wood when they scoop it. If you've worn one down to that point being careful with the net isn't an issue. Of course I don't think that's good for a fish …..

brownbass

Reaction score
Meadolark. There always seems to be one,

Ard, I'll pass that along, although I'm not sure I can survive the "I told you so".

Bill, I love the Current, too. BTW, I passed through your town a week ago on my way to Washington, MO. I waved to you. Did you see me?

Thanks,
steve
I thought that was you. I waved but you were around the bend.

Bill

spm

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics. Beautiful fish and photography! Now I don't want to tell you what to do, but you were on the net so you bear some responsibility here. That fish was caught, and I'd suggest you start telling people he knows it was at least 25" if you ever saw one Good fishing buddies are hard to find so don't screw this up man. :)
Good advice, DeWayne.

Thanks,
steve

trout stalker

Reaction score
Made my reservations for May 5th through the 8th at Montauk State Park. If anyone would like to meet up and catch the one that got away just let me know.

spm

Reaction score
Made my reservations for May 5th through the 8th at Montauk State Park. If anyone would like to meet up and catch the one that got away just let me know.
RJ,
I will just miss you. I will be there the next week; 17th & 18th, or I would.

Thanks,
steve