Just another Newbie

Hockeyref

Reaction score
Well, the bug is tickling my fancy and I'm ... bought a St Croix Reign 9' #6 and will probably get an Okuma Sierra or Vashon in the near future... beyond that - I have a lot to learn and a lot mere research to do. Looking forward to any enlightenment I can gain from all of you as it will proably be quite a while before I'll have anything to add...

Looking forward to learning a whole new way....

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Hockeyref,

Welcome to the forum. You live in a state with a lot of trout fishing. I hope you bought your rod from a local shop that can help you out with your casting.

Frank

Hockeyref

Reaction score
Frank,
Actually, several guys I work with are willing to assist me... they've already been a wealth of info. One guy has been doing it all his life and said he would set me up with a "starter set of flies" when he gets back to the states next week. Also said that he would give me a bunch more later.... said he spends all winter tieing flies.... We've had some long discussions on rods, reels, lines, etc. so I feel that I'm in pretty good hands there.

Bought the rod from the local Dick's :rolleyes:... figured that I did OK getting it new for $90. There used to be a small fly shop on main street here, but it closed about 3 years ago.... :icon_cry:

DryFlyGuy

Reaction score
Steve,

Welcome aboard. Let us know how your first few fishing adventures go. I'll never forget the first fish I caught. Fun times!

Hockeyref

Reaction score
Actually just realized that I put the wrong store in my previous post.. It was at Gander Mountain that I bought the rod. Looked at all of their reels and Liked the #6 Okuma Vashon but would have prefered that the spool be narrower - Haven't handled the Sierra yet, but is comes highly recommended and right now I can get either for about $40....

Gonna get some WF6F line, have not yet decided which one and figure that I may end up trying several different brands until I find out what I like. I've been told to get some 3x or 4x leader line.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Welcome to the board,

Sounds like you've been getting great advice, and your buddies will get you off to a great start--- and it's great you have a source of flies.

I haven't used one, but I've heard good things about the Scierra too.

As far as lines go, it can be tricky matching one up with a rod, and they're expensive. It would be good to try a few before buying if possible- perhaps lawn casting with your buddies stuff to try a few different ones. If that's not possible I'd try and find a fly shop, take your rod along and see if they can help match one up-- there are some that are a bit heavier than standard from Scientific Anglers (SA Mastery GPX) or Rio (Grand) that go for about 70 bucks that might be a good match if you're new to casting, as well as a ton of other options, typically from 40 bucks and up for name brands like SA, Rio, and Airflow. Less expensive "no name" brands can be great too---- or crap, so I'd stick to the names.

As far as leaders go, a couple monofilament tapered knotless leaders
7 1/2 foot 3X (for throwing weighted stuff like buggers)
9 foot 4X for dries wets and small nymphs

and a couple spools of tippet (untapered mono) that you'd add (about 2' or so) to the end of your leader in 4X, 5X and 6X. (there's a good post in the FAQ section on leaders and tippets)

With your buddies' flies and some of their coaching you should be all set.

Good luck, and keep asking questions as they come up.

mark

Hockeyref

Reaction score
It gets mo' better by the day... My wife just informed me that she has a long term client (almost 20 years cutting his hair) that is very experienced. He makes at least one trip out west (to Montana, Colorado, etc) every year just to fish for a week or two. Said that if I was gonna get into this she would put me in touch.... save me time, money, and hassle. :surprise::D:thumbsup::frogdance

I gotta say I married a keeper.... She doesn't blink when I bring home a new Target Rifle, or a Browning Citori.... Saw me looking at this site and said, "you getting another expensive hobbie?" I said, "yup!" she just rolled her eyes at me...

Speaking of line... I've seen a lot of folks mentioning Cortalnd 333 & 444 as well as a "cheap" Scientific Angler (forget the name) that are readily available locally. Still looking for the local fly shops.. There's on in Indiana, PA but that's about 40 miles away as I live near Pittsburgh...