Introductions

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Hello Folks:

I'm Steve Robbins and, no doubt, an avid fly fisherman with more than 35 years of fishing experience. I am the Site Administrator of this forum. I also serve as the director of the Fly Fishing program at Tyler Junior College in Tyler, Texas and have been teaching the art of fly fishing for more than eight years. I also teach an occasional fly fishing class for Panola College and Texarkana College in East Texas. I am the immediate past president and founder of Lone Star Fly Fishers in Tyler which is the premier fly fishing club in East Texas. I have given many fly fishing presentations and seminars to various fly fishing clubs, civic organizations and youth groups. I am also the owner of The Full Creel Fly Shop www.thefullcreel.com.

I enjoy all types of fly fishing but I am a small stream fanatic. I love the high mountain streams and spring creeks. I'm usually always alone and at piece with nature and all if its grandeur. I love to fish many small streams in Colorado... Mostly the Durango area. I also frequent New Mexico.

I hope to get to know each member of this wonderful forum. We have a great group of anglers here and I look forward to watching us grow this discussion group into one of the largest forums in the nation.

JayMorr

Reaction score
Nice site guys! Great work fanatic. My name is JayMorr. I love flyfishing, flytying, and art. I recently have been getting into Photography and love to capture the art of flyfishing. fanatic referred me to the site. I am the Admin for www.flyfishermanforum.com

I look forward to the discussions and getting to know you all better. I love all kinds of fishing and enjoy the forum boards. Keep up the good work.

JayMorr

Curtis

Reaction score
Hey Jay. Good to see you again. But I must ask ARE YOU STALKING ME!?! 8)

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, my name is Mike and I am a die hard fly tosser. I have been fly fishing since I was 13 or so when my Grandfather taught me the sport throwing large Pencil Poppers for Stripers along the California Coast Line. My very first fish on a fly was a 20lb + Striper that quite literally kicked my butt, yes, I was hooked from then on.

When my Grandfather died in 1981, I kinda fell away from the sport, as it was never the same. I continued to fish and stopped again in 1982 when I enlisted in the US Army.

I moved to Utah in 1997 and that is where I met a bunch of fly fishing nuts that got me back into the sport and got me to also start tying my own flies. I made some great friends like Jaymorr and we had some great time sharing lies and fishing times together.

I moved to Arizona in Dec of '04 and have gone from mainly Stillwater Trout fishing to warm water fly fishing...

I met Steve through another site and decided to join his. He has since asked me to help him with the design and installation of this site. It has really turned into a great looking forum with some wonderfull people.

Well, that is about it..

I am who I am...

Glad to be here...

RYB

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
Glad to be here! Hope to follow you virtually and to get news from places with everlasting seasons when cruel russian frosts come.
Best regards, Alex.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Are you an active fly fisher and are you near some of the great Russian Trout and Salmon fishing?

Frank

RYB

Reaction score
I'm in this "business" for 15 years. As for the rivers- it all depends. Kola is closer than Kamchatka, but it's 2500 km way. But trout rivers are reachable for weekend(400-900 km road). But mostly I prefer(for many reasons- lack of the time- the main) fishing for chub, walleye, pike. For example-this weekend- light onehander, skagit line,big fly- 5 waleyes caught, 9 lost and countless takes... And it took only 7 ouhrs including the road...

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Alex,

I never thought about Russia having Walleyes. Did you catch them in a river or lake? I assume it was a river. What season is it there now? It is the end of Summer here in Florida.

Frank

RYB

Reaction score
Yes, it was a river. Now it's the middle of the Fall. BTW, according to the weather report the snow is expected for a week...

Attachments

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
RYB,

Your season is a little ahead of ours. Tell us about your fishing gear. Can you buy Russian made rods and reels or do they come from outside your country? What lines are you using. I have talked to fly fishers from all over the world but you are the first Russian.

Frank

RYB

Reaction score
Well, it's not only bears and frosts:smile:
As everywhere we can have only few manufacturers of, let me say, vintage(but sooner or later...)tackles from US or Europe. So a russian company followed some former Big Boys and makes an OEM-projects rods. Their designer is a great flyfisher and a good man- Andrey Sokolov. Many russians like these rods. But as for me I use other rods and reels. But this time I'm fond of my STICK-it's my own custom build rod that features xtra-mega-super fast action #4", 7,6". It was made for trout creeks with skagit line. But it works good for walleye too where long distance, big/bulky flies and heavy strike are the must. The line is also custom made- it's total length (no leader) is 10 feet, and the leader may vary from 8" to 12". Flies, as you can guess, are mine but inspired by Ed Ward's Intruder.
I think that is all...

George

Reaction score
Hello Steve and JayMor, my name is george and i am a new member to this forum. It will be good to be able to relate to other fly fishng folks who love the great outdoor & the gift of fly fishing like i do. Some history on my self, I hale from southern california but now live in Whitehouse Tx. I love the big sky country like the HighSerrias and the Rockys, to me that is the only way to really enjoy the fly fishing expiereance. Most of my fly fishing expierance i taught my self,i also love to tie flys and also taught my self by reading books and watching videos. At this time i am preseantly attending your basic fly fishing class Steve at TJC and i am really enjoying it to the max. Well i am still learning how to use this forum but getting it fast. I enjoy searching for information on the other threads and promise to try and share info with other fly fishing Fanatics. ( Good Fishing Forum Member George!)

George

Reaction score
Hi George,

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post. Where in the high Sierras did you fish?

Frank
Hello Frank, Thank you for your welcome. I hope that i am useing this thread properly i am not good on the computer, trying to learn how to follow the promp`s. As for your question on where i fished in the Seirras mostley the eastern side,Bishop was my favorit_ up aroud bishop creek, lake sabrina,south lake,northlake. I also did some on the owens river and lake crawley.Lake crawley is better know as the jewal of the seirras. I use to also go hunting with my Dad and friends in Kizers pass which is on the western side of the seirras,so was able to fish the san juaqen river a few times. The seirras are a beutifull moutaine range and although i never fly fished at that time (wished i had) mostly conventional spin cast fishing. It was not untill i moved to Tx that i became interested in fly fishing. Well i think that i have talked enough for now better save some for later!!! Thanks again, George

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi George,

Too bad you were not fly fishing at that time. The high Sierras are a great spot for fly fishing.

I was born and raised in Fresno and spent a lot of time on the Western slope. We have a lot of people on the forum from Texas.

Frank

George

Reaction score
Hi George,

Too bad you were not fly fishing at that time. The high Sierras are a great spot for fly fishing.

I was born and raised in Fresno and spent a lot of time on the Western slope. We have a lot of people on the forum from Texas.

Frank
Hi Frank, thanks for your reply, did you ever fish in the area of mono hot springs Kizers pass San Juanqune river very nice area?

StreamerStripper

Reaction score
Hi guys my name is Ricky Bassett, I am a new member and just wanted to introduce myself. I am really looking foward to meeting other flyfisherman and sharing knowledge, tips , stories, photographs, and maybe make a few new fishing buddies along the way:) Looking foward to getting involved in the forum in any way I can.