Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Member from South Louisiana with family in N. GA and Missoula

1. Default New Member from South Louisiana with family in N. GA and Missoula

Hey guys. I stumbled upon this forum while doing some research for a trip to visit family in Missoula. I've done some fly fishing in the past. Mostly for sea trout and redfish around here and for perch and bass in ponds. I've never fished for freshwater trout before but with inlaws in North Georgia and Missoula figured I needed to get with the program and start doing some fishing. I've got a couple of friends that do quite a bit of trout fishing that are kind of mentoring me but am going to be scouring these forums for tips and tactics.

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Member from South Louisiana with family in N. GA and Missoula

Welcome to the forum and the sport of fly fishing! We would love to hear about your fly fishing adventures. Feel free to ask questions we have some really knowledgable folks on this site that are more than willing to help out.

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

to the forum....what's more....I agree with my friend Larry

Bayou_Boy- welcome to the forum, sounds like you have friends in great places. You should have a blast out in MT.

Since you've been fishing for saltwater stuff and largemouth bass already you are off to a good start and have the casting mechanics down.

Your buddies can recommend flies and all the other gear you might need. Probably the 2 biggest challenges for a fly fisher coming from the salt and/or fishing slower water for freshwater bass who wants to chase trout in streams will be "reading the water" to figure out where trout might be holding and "mending" your fly line after the cast to get a drag free drift-- something that can be tough to do when you cast across several different current speeds on a stream.

Here are some links to 2 great articles:
    reading water: Reading the Water | MidCurrent
    mending: A Mending Primer | MidCurrent

Next time you're out on the water, try casting a popper or something you can easily see in or on the water to a current seam between some slower moving and faster moving water and try throwing a mend or two to let it drift along at the same speed as other stuff floating in the water next to it. You can even do this in the salt by throwing and mending into some tidal current. It'll give you a chance to practice a little bit before you head out into the mountains in GA or out to MT.

Good luck.
    Mark

Welcome from an american living on the far side of the pond-northwest england. Went through Missoula early last June and back later in the month and though the rivers were pretty high in flood state they looked awesome! I envy you having family there and only wish I did!

Blog Entries

Welcome! Great to see another saltwater fisherman too!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here!
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)