Hello from New Zealand

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am originally from Georgia.
I came to New Zeland in 2002 to expand my work experience as a taxidermist. I married and now living here .
My husband is from New Zealand. We are both taxidermists and work from a studio at home.
Mammals are what we mount the most and actually just to busy to add in fish mounting.
I have always used a spinner for trout fishing and had good success with it.
But a few days ago my husband bought himself a new fly rod and gave me his old one in case I ever wanted to experiment with it.
I started with it yesterday and was hooked. Love It! Today we went to the local hunting shop and I got a new fly rod.
It felt quite different than the old one and it took me a long time this evening to get the "feel of it.
I have retired my spinner and concentrating on getting better with my casting. It is summer time here and trout are plentiful everywhere. We are lucky that the rivers are only 10 minutes from the house. So by 5pm we are off to the river to de-stress from a long days work in the shop.
The forum looks great and am looking forward to learning everything and anything fly fishing from your group.

Joni

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Crystal. I kinda got started the same way (many, many years ago however).I was tying flies, but still used a spinning outfit. One day my ol man suggested that it might be easier for me to tie flies if I used them and learned what to tie. To top it off, we went to a little lake in the Uinta's and he left my spinning gear at home. I was mad as heck till he handed me a fly rod and I caught more fish then I would have ever imagined. I have never gone back and that was around 25 years ago.I now professionally guide and tie flies...These guys have created a MONSTER! LOLWant to hear more from you, so keep us posted.Joni "Fly Goddess"
p.s. I am thinking of being an apperentise to a local Taxidermist here....small world...........eery............

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
I thought the same, my hubby knows he has created a monster when the second day out I told him I wanted to tie my own flies. Good part is a parttime worker and friend is a excellent fly tier, so I am going to corner him for some lessons, LOL
He showed me how he did it one time and I was facinated unknown to my knowledge that in a months time I would be fly fishing.
I have a lot of detemination like yesterday when I couldn't get the line to feed out and I told them they had set it up with too light onf a line. A
Finally after seeing me stuggle and refused to give up just trying to get this line out for 4 hours, later......the men gave it a try and now agree yes I did know what I was talking about, Men!
So today .......we are about to leave to go to the river and I will drop by the fishing shop and Dave will have me a change out reel ready with heavier line.
Glad to see a women on board here. I have so much to learn....now I know where to turn to! Thank You

Joni

Reaction score
RIGHT ON! I can't quite make out what kind of fish and the size however...LOL

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
LOL, they don't make a camera small enough to take pictures of my first, he was only a 1 1/2lbs raibow, released him to go back to the nursery..hahaha

Joni

Reaction score
If you could take some pictures of the waters, that would be so cool. Then we could all play like we are fishing in New Zealand.And a fish is a fish. one and a half pounds is good. Sometimes for kicks I go after the 1 and 1/2 ounce fish. They are cool cause they will take a fly as big as they are.

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
If you could take some pictures of the waters, that would be so cool. Then we could all play like we are fishing in New Zealand.And a fish is a fish. one and a half pounds is good. Sometimes for kicks I go after the 1 and 1/2 ounce fish. They are cool cause they will take a fly as big as they are.
Will do, I love to photgraph NZ's waters. Some of the best scenery around.

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
Thought I'd better ask before doing any photo attachments.
I have on file well over 50 fishing spots we have visited for the past 4 years.
What are the rules here? Posting the pictures as a insert or refering to a photbucket site?
And since there is no catogory for Pacific where can I insert the pics so all can enjoy?
Thanks for in advance for answering my dumb questions LOL

Joni

Reaction score
You might want to PM the administrators on that one, but a link to a photo bucket would be cool to me.I am really into the Xena (Lucie Lawless) series and Hercules (Kevin Sorbo) and it is film in New Zealand. I watch every episode where there is a river or a lake and think....there has got to be some nice fish in there!As far as Mike's comment on the "cut one"....to know him is to love him. He is very down to earth and full of it...by "IT" I mean jokes LOL.Stick around and he will have you spewing coffee all over your monitor.....by way of your nose LOL

STARMedic

Reaction score
Getting on board this thread late but none the less, welcome to a great forum with a boat load of great people.I recently read a write up on fishing NZ and really wanna take some time and head over that way for a few weeks.....Bruce

williambuttry

Reaction score
Just started in fresno

Hey Guys,
I've justed started fly fishing a couple of months, in northern california. So can I ask for a locations tips, I haven't got a single fish yet and need some help finding those bad boys. Thank you
Will Buttry-future fly fishing master of fresno

Joni

Reaction score
Re: Just started in fresno

Hey Guys,
I've justed started fly fishing a couple of months, in northern california. So can I ask for a locations tips, I haven't got a single fish yet and need some help finding those bad boys. Thank you
Will Buttry-future fly fishing master of fresno
I will and can be frustrating, but when you finally get into them, just remember what you did, and they will just keep coming. Tight Lines to you.

EHC

Reaction score
Welcome CrystalNZ!
I had the pleasure of spending about a week on the South Island last year. Managed to get in one solid day of fly fishing - it was wonderful. New Zealand is some beatiful country.
Congrats on the first fish caught with a fly rod! It is only going to get better for you! Let us know how we can help - there are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people on this site.

Tim

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
Thanks for having me on this great site.
I have fallen hard for fly fishing and even snagged a couple since that time, but I got a new habit I am trying to break. I tend to snatch to hard trying to hook the fish and take it right out of their mouth. Really frustrated at myself and trying to slow down. Fly fishing can make you so mad at yourself can't it?

Joni

Reaction score
Crystal, BEAUTIFUL WATERS! so jealous! The one with you holding a couple of pigs says you don't need our help!
As far as setting the hook too fast or too hard, when you feel something on the end, pull your line with your stripping hand, and slowly lift rod. Once you're sure the fish is there, you can tug the rod a little to make sure you set the hook.
I wish I was SOOOOOO there right now!

CrystalNZ

Reaction score
Save your pennies Joni. All you have to do is get here and leave the rest to me. Our home is your home if your ever in this side of the world.

Good news..........I caught another one tonight. Just a small one but one never the less.
Finally all the hard work pays off.