Hello form the UK

iwalton

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just joined the forum as a bit of variety from the UK scene.
I started fishing on 16th June 1957 and fishing has been getting more serious ever since.
I am located in Mid Wales where most fishing is with fly on the headwaters of some of the well known Welsh rivers, the Wye, Teifi, Rheidol and Severn. I am also about 1 hr from Cardigan Bay so there are sea water opportunities too.
Regards
iwalton

iwalton

Reaction score
Re:UK fishing so far!

I have not wet a line this year due to consistant high water and high winds. However, this week is dry and cloudy and I imagine that if this continues the rivers should be in good order for some grayling fishing.
Whilst many fish for grayling using the Cech nymph style or using an 'indicator' I have a preference to conventional wet fly fishing or dry fly. So I am more particular about the conditions than most. But then maybe I can afford to be since I only have a 5 minute walk to the river.
Last week I managed a bit of casting practice on grass and confirmed that my tracking is still a long way out. I must practice more this year.
Regards
iwalton

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Re: UK fishing so far!

I have not wet a line this year due to consistant high water and high winds. However, this week is dry and cloudy and I imagine that if this continues the rivers should be in good order for some grayling fishing.
Whilst many fish for grayling using the Cech nymph style or using an 'indicator' I have a preference to conventional wet fly fishing or dry fly. So I am more particular about the conditions than most. But then maybe I can afford to be since I only have a 5 minute walk to the river.
Last week I managed a bit of casting practice on grass and confirmed that my tracking is still a long way out. I must practice more this year.
Regards
iwalton
That is interesting that you have Grayling. Are they the same as we have over here. What size are they?----Frank

iwalton

Reaction score
Grayling,
Grayling are found in most of the clear streams to the east of the Cambrian Mountains ie those streams that run towards England from Wales. The best known of these are the Severn, Wye and Dee and some of their tributaries. They are not found naturally in the streams that fow into the Irish Sea.
They grow up to about 3 pouds but this would be an exceptional fish. A normal good fish would be half that weight.
They are very similar to the grayling found in N America.
Weather today is 12c with some sun. Exceptionally mild for the time of year.
Two hours ago I was in Stafford beside Isaac Walton's statue there.
iwalton

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Grayling,
Grayling are found in most of the clear streams to the east of the Cambrian Mountains ie those streams that run towards England from Wales. The best known of these are the Severn, Wye and Dee and some of their tributaries. They are not found naturally in the streams that fow into the Irish Sea.
They grow up to about 3 pouds but this would be an exceptional fish. A normal good fish would be half that weight.
They are very similar to the grayling found in N America.
Weather today is 12c with some sun. Exceptionally mild for the time of year.
Two hours ago I was in Stafford beside Isaac Walton's statue there.
iwalton
Hi iwalton, that is interesting. I never thought you would have Grayling. How is the access to your waters? Is there a lot of private property or does the law provide access? Do you have fishing clubs?----Frank

iwalton

Reaction score
In England and Wales you first of all need an Enviroment Agency Rod licence. This is about £24 per year excluding migratory fish (salmon and sea trout).
You then need permission. This can be private, through a club or association or you can buy a ticket for water company owned reservoirs.
A season ticket for a club can cost from say £20 to hundreds of pounds. Day tickets on reservoiurs are about £20 a day.
There are a lot of trout lochs in Scotland where they typically cost £5 per day. Salmon fishing can be seriously expensive. Say £40 per day or £1000 per week.
The above information seems to shock Americans. ie expensive but it is all about supply and demand. Put 60000000 people in a small island and this is the result.
What are typical costs in the state, where you are?
iwalton

Joni

Reaction score
Ours here is around $27., but to go back to my birth place for a season permit (Idaho) it is $82.)
I have heard and read for years that the fishing in UK is beautiful, and that some places you consider a Rainbow a trash fish. Well, maybe not a trash, but some of the streams they are an unwanted species.
I know that there is a big price to pay, but after the way you put it with the population, it now makes a lot of sense.
Would love to see some pictures of some of the waters you have access to.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
iwalton, wow that does sound expensive. We still have lost of water that is free to fish after a state license is bought. Some parks charge for camping or parking. Some of our western states are now having problems with land owners that say if they own the land on both sides of the water, then they also own the water. I have a friend in Scotland and he fishes the lochs with a club. I am not sure if it is a drinking club that fishes, or a fishing club that drinks.-----Frank

iwalton

Reaction score
I do not have the equipment to put pictures on the forum.
However, if you look at the local guide's website you will see a picture of the river a 5 minute walk from my house-
www.acgameangling.co.uk
I had an hour on the River Sunday afternoon. I spent about an hour there and took four fish plus a couple of long range releases.
Since then it has turned colder with possibly some snow tomorrow. So back to the fly dressing vice to stock up for when it gets warmer.
iwalton