Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Old timer

1. Default Old timer

Got started when my Grandfather gave me an old bamboo rod of his and a fly wallet with about 10 flies. I was 4 years old and I still remember it. That was in 1942. I have been in love with fly fishing ever since, just for the fun of being out on a stream and getting the fish to rise. Do not need to catch anything. A well cast fly that causes a rainbow or brookie to come take a look is orgasmic. I practice catch and release, except for the first fish of the day which goes to the frying pan.

Default Re: Old timer

Welcome to the group! We'll be looking forward to your contributions.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: Old timer

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Got started when my Grandfather gave me an old bamboo rod of his and a fly wallet with about 10 flies. I was 4 years old and I still remember it. That was in 1942. I have been in love with fly fishing ever since, just for the fun of being out on a stream and getting the fish to rise. Do not need to catch anything. A well cast fly that causes a rainbow or brookie to come take a look is orgasmic. I practice catch and release, except for the first fish of the day which goes to the frying pan.
    Thought you had been here for a while, but I guess you haven't. Very nice reading your answers and posts. My grandfather gave me an old Montegue Bamboo, that I use to use all the time as a kid. Then I grew up and got a hold of a couple of HI end Bamboos. What a difference! LOL.
    I kinda blame my Grandpa and my MOTHER, for creating this fishing monster that I am. It is an addiction that I really don't want to find a cure for!
    I have collected quite an arsnal of FF gear, the bad thing is my step-daughter could care less about fishing. The good news is my favorite niece loves it, so guess who gets that end of my will.
    Welcome aboard!

4. Default Re: Old timer

Just for info, the old bamboo was a Shakespeare. I still have it, but it has been refinished a couple of times and I keep it just as a memory. Someday, before I die, I would like to have another high end bamboo. Orvis or Thomas & Thomas.

5. Default Re: Old timer

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Just for info, the old bamboo was a Shakespeare. I still have it, but it has been refinished a couple of times and I keep it just as a memory. Someday, before I die, I would like to have another high end bamboo. Orvis or Thomas & Thomas.
    I have two of the Orvis boos. They are so light I sometimes forget that they are bamboo till FISH ON! Then it is a blast!