New to fly fishing

alfgraphics

Reaction score
Hello, all! I'm new and don't know much about fly fishing. But, I'm here to learn all I can. I hope to learn enough to contribute information, someday. :)

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Welcome to the board,

Seems like you are in a perfect place to learn fly fishing. There is a fly shop called the Leland Fly shop which I believe is associated with the Golden Gate Angling and Casting club. I am planning to go there to learn more about casting soon.

I also look forward to your contributions to this board. Your fishing stories in your neck of woods help us learn more about fly fishing.

Tight lines

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I just dumped a :welcome: in your Sf bay thread, but I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum. There is a whole lot of useful knowledge and experience wrapped up in here, coming from a lot of great people! As far as contributing... I still haven't contributed and I've made several hundred posts so I'm setting a pretty low bar here :p

Also, I second what TX is saying about Leland, they seem to be quite the institution, and you can't argue with the club being one heck of a resource. I believe another member on here said their dues are somewhere in the 30-40 dollar/yr ballpark?

O

okuma

Just remember we were all new at one time, you will be fine. Welcome aboard!

alfgraphics

Reaction score
Theoretically speaking, what kind of distance should be expecting while casting a #2 clouser minnow on 11 wt line? i'm having trouble getting the fly out of the water during a roll cast.

I'm currently using a 16lb 9' tapered leader.

I'm thinking a shorter, stiffer leader might help. Any thoughts?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi alfgraphics,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here and make many friends as most of us have.

I would say it would take a very good caster to cast the whole line. Is the 11wt your only fly rod? It is much easier to learn with a lighter outfit than with a big gun like yours. You need to train your muscles and get your timing worked out. I think that is easier with a lighter outfit. That doesn't mean you can't do it but I think it is harder.

You have to take advantage of the Golden Gate Casting Club. Back in the early 50s I spent one day at the casting ponds and learned more than I had in all the years I had been casting up to then. I don't know how they operate now but I just showed up one Sunday at the ponds and some fellow standing around helped me out.

Frank

alfgraphics

Reaction score
Hi alfgraphics,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here and make many friends as most of us have.

I would say it would take a very good caster to cast the whole line. Is the 11wt your only fly rod? It is much easier to learn with a lighter outfit than with a big gun like yours. You need to train your muscles and get your timing worked out. I think that is easier with a lighter outfit. That doesn't mean you can't do it but I think it is harder.

Frank
I took your advice. I have a 4/5 wt rod and reel I bought for $40.
After watching several videos on youtube on casting, I took it to the park during my son's soccer practice. I managed to cast it out to about 35 feet, after about half an hour of trying.

I took the 10/11 wt rod and reel out the following practice and managed to get all the line out after a few tries! Practicing with the lighter rod helped a lot. That was with no fly, just some yarn tied to the leader.

I think I'm ready to wet some flies.