Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member from NM

Default Re: New Member from NM

James, used to live in Gallup and Farmington early 80's. Fished the San Juan all the time. You problably herd of the San Juan Worm by now. My favorite dry fly was a Black Nat #24 on a 2-3 lb tippet on the flats, man did that bring in some big fish!!. Sad to hear about the crowding, back then the crowds were light. If you live in Albuquerque, you might want to try the Jemez River. Good Luck.

chuck.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    I don't know if you noticed or not, but when wading as you kick up the silt from the bottom of the river as you move about the fish will stack up just downstream of your feet, it is a pretty interesting thing to watch. Last time I was down there I had 11 fish stacked up downstream of me, with the nearest fish just inches from my wading boots.

Larry
    Just make sure you don't shuffle your feet, you'll get fined.

Blog Entries

James - If you haven't fished the Rio Costilla in the Valle vidal area, by all means try it! If you love solitude and beautiful scenery, as I do, the Rio's got it all. Fish aren't real big, but lots of them(cutthroats). It's about 40 mi N of Taos, through Questa. Luck

Quote Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
    It's about 40 mi N of Taos, through Questa. Luck
    or 40 miles south of Red River.

Kayo - I practically grew up fishing the Jemez, the east fork is one of my favorites and the Cebolla bellow Fenton Lake. Lots of fire up there this year so its been rough.

Cimmaron - I have fished Red River, but I have not tried the Rio Costilla, I may have to try that soon, Thanks

James

Fenton Lake, boy that brings back memories. At spring time if you were the first to get through the snow, BIG fish.

Yeah, Fenton is still a good spot, lots of bait fishermen there, but from a small boat or float tube you can work flies well. They have done a lot of improvements there and have recently dredged the bottom, not sure how that impacts the bugs but it sure clears out some of the moss.

I was fishing the Cebolla below Fenton two years ago and in one of the murky little beaver ponds there I pulled out a 19' Rainbow that actually had a smaller fish in its gullet. I know they do not stock anything that large up there so some of those stockers do get big in those small streams. That is by far the biggest I have ever causght out of that stream.

James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12