Headed to Idaho

Clemson

Reaction score
Hello to all. This is my first post.

I am not exactly brand new to fly fishing. I have fished popping bugs for bass off and on for 50 years. I AM new to trout fishing, however. I am planning a trip to the Salmon River in a few days, so I bought a new fly rod a bit more appropriate for the task than my old glass bass rod.

The outfit that I am taking is not high-dollar -- just decent within my price range. I have a 5 wt 8'6" Sage FLi rod with an inexpensive Ross reel and Rio Grande floating line. I bought a couple of packs of ready made leaders -- 9 foot 3X, and some 3x, 4x, and 5x tippet material. I plan to buy flies in Boise and McCall. Any suggestions on patterns for the Middle Fork in early July?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Clemson

Joni

Reaction score
I know the Stonefly hatch is probably gone, but I would still try a Girdle Bug, BIG AND BLACK. When I am in new waters in Idaho, I also go with the standards like Haresears, Pheasant Tails, Prince Nymphs, and of course COPPER JOHNS! Dries, Elk Hair Caddis! or Goddard.

Clemson

Reaction score
Thanks, Joni. It is good to hear from someone who has been there!

My wife is a complete newbie, so I had better pick a few that SHE can catch fish on, or my future as a trout fisherman is in jeopardy.

Clemson

Joni

Reaction score
The shops up there would be able to help you. On Dries I will fish a 14 to a 20 at times and nymphs in the #12 range.