ecuadorrebel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and look forward to sharing info with everyone. I have lived in Quito Ecuador for the past 8 years but before that was in North Carolina. I live at 8000 feet above sea level and most of my fishing is above 11,000 ft. The water is cold and swift, but you can spend a week without ever seeing another fisherman. Mostly rainbows, but a few browns and brookies. The fish in the streams are about 6 to 10 inches in length but the bows in the lakes can be over 25 inches.

I will be b going to West Yellowstone this Saturday and will be there for about a week. We will be with a guide 2 days and will be going to the Slough Creek Third Meadow on horseback one day. However, I have 3 or 4 days of seeking my own destinations and could use some pointers on where to fish and possibly avoid the crowds during this time.

I make my own flys and fly rods so if anyone needs help in these areas I am always available.

Looking forward to some great discussions.

Steve

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Your fishing in Ecuador sounds like fun. Similar to fishing the high Sierras. I think you should take advantage of the guide you will have. I am sure he will help you out with some places to fish away from the crowds. That is hard to do this time of the year in Yellowstone. May take some hiking.

ecuadorrebel

Reaction score
Thanks Frank,

The fishing here is great when I get a chance. It will be a lot different in Montana with all the other fisherman to contend with. The only time I run into any fishing down here is when I take them with me. I have had 40 fish days on some beautiful streams. I am going to build a Sage 00wt for the streams here as the fish a pretty small, but lots of fun to catch. I will keep you posted on how it goes in Montana.

Steve

ecuadorrebel

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff,

Actually, in Quito it is like spring all year round. Mid 70s during the day and in the 50s at night. As you go up in altitude it get colder, and you can experience a little snow. At 11,000 feet it is generally in the mid 50s, depending on the sun. Of course, when you are in a cloud forrest you can't expect a whole lot of sun.

Arrived in Bozeman today and visited the Bozeman Angler. Lawrence gave me some advice on where to go this afternoon to try my luck. Will keep you posted.

Steve

Flywgn

Reaction score
Hey Ecuadorrebel,

Hope you have a great time over at W Yellowstone. Great place to be this time of year.

Tight lines.

Allen R

jdgrubbjr

Reaction score
:welcomean Steve. I'm looking forward to hearing about some of your adventures in Ecuador.