Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Hello from Northern Iowa

Hello Everyone. Just starting to take up fly fishing after a 10+ year break from learning the very basics from my Uncle when we would fish for sea bass off the coast south of Boston. Having recently moved to NE Iowa, I'm really interested in getting back into it. At this time, I'm looking into any equipment (I need everything) and I'm leaning to getting my rod and reel from Justin at Allen. I have already learned so much from reading this forum (the search feature is invaluable!).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from Northern Iowa

Taylor: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! If you decide to go with Allen equipment, you won't regret it. The Allen rods and reels are very nice. Justin provides some really nice fishing gear at great prices and has been really good about standing behind his gear! Oh, I almost forgot, be sure to talk to Justin first as he gives the forum members a nice discount!!!!
    Larry

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for information. Hope to see posts of your fishing adventures.
    Dan

Welcome to the forum Taylor, I don't own any Allen rods or reels but I do hear many positive remarks from folks who do. Hope to be hearing about you fly fishing adventures soon.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

welcome to the forum taylor,
    you'll find a great wealth of information on this site as well as a healthy dose of interesting stories and photographs.
    as far as gear, allen is the way to go. get in touch with justin and he'll get you set up.

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Taylor: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! If you decide to go with Allen equipment, you won't regret it. The Allen rods and reels are very nice. Justin provides some really nice fishing gear at great prices and has been really good about standing behind his gear! Oh, I almost forgot, be sure to talk to Justin first as he gives the forum members a nice discount!!!!
    What he said x2, awsome gear. My dad is from Mason City and I remember going up the fish for pike up there, I would love to get back and try that on fly gear. welcome to NAFFF

Hey Taylor welcome to the forum, make yourself at home here and feel free to ask questions if you have 'em. There's lot's of good stuff to browse through in the FAQ section and our general forums too.

You may also want to check out this nonprofit group that's affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers too if you haven't already:
    Hawkeye Fly Fishing

They have a lot of events throughout the year including casting lessons, group trips, conservation activities etc and it would be a great way to meet some new fly fishing buddies and accelerate the learning curve.
    Mark

Welcome to the board Taylor. It's nice to see another Driftless guy joining the ranks. I came down a few times this fall to fish NE Iowa. You have some dandy streams in your area for sure.

What species do you intend to target down there? You definitely won't lack for options!

Blog Entries

Taylor....everytime I see Taylor...I think about this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aGYmkivN0E

10. Likes mcnerney, littledavid123 liked this post

Yay, another northern Iowa guy! Its good to know that I'm not the only one in this part of the woods with this addiction.