Another Texas Newbie!!

Craig24

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the site but not new to fly fishing. My dad got me started about 12 years ago and I have been trying to get better since them. It looks like yall have a lot of good information here and great members. I am excited to see what everyone has to say. I hope everyone has a great holiday season. God Bless.

Craig

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Welcome, Craig. :) Lot of Texans active on this Forum. Many fly fish Texas fresh and salt water, and some like me go out of state instead (in my case, the Rockies/New Mexico to Montana). What part of Texas are you from, and where and for what do you fly fish?

Craig24

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I am from Hartley Texas. I am about 20 miles from the New Mexico/Texas border. I also fly fish in New Mexico and Colorado. I am not much into saltwater fishing. Mainly mountain stream and lakes for trout. I only live about 2 1/2 hours from Cimarron New Mexico so it isn't much to pack up one weekend and go fishing. I have been fly fishing for a while but just recently I started going as much as possible. I am planning a trip to the San Juan next month and also 3 or 4 trips to New Mexico and Colorado in late spring early summer. Where are you from in Texas?

Craig

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! Must be nice to live so close to so many trout streams. Stay warm up there!

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I am from Hartley Texas. I am about 20 miles from the New Mexico/Texas border. I also fly fish in New Mexico and Colorado. I am not much into saltwater fishing. Mainly mountain stream and lakes for trout. I only live about 2 1/2 hours from Cimarron New Mexico so it isn't much to pack up one weekend and go fishing. I have been fly fishing for a while but just recently I started going as much as possible. I am planning a trip to the San Juan next month and also 3 or 4 trips to New Mexico and Colorado in late spring early summer. Where are you from in Texas?

Craig
Good area you live in, Craig. I used to (& still wished I did) live in El Paso, which is where I took fly-fishing up, since I spent all my recreational time up in New Mexico. If I wasn't skiing, I was fly-fishing. Unfortunately, I now live in the Houston area, so it is a bit more of a trip to get to the Rockies. Not as bad as it was when I lived for a while in Ohio!
Neil

Craig24

Reaction score
Thanks again for the great welcome. I do feel very lucky to live as close as I do to some great fly fishing. I only got to make 3 trips last year but I hoping to double that in 2008! I am not a fly tryer at the time but I plan on getting into it very soon. My biggest fish to date is a 22" Brown that I caught up around South Fork Colorado. It was a huge rush and I have been hooked on fly fishing ever since. :frogdance

Craig