Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: hello all

1. Default hello all

Hello all. I am not new to fly fishing but am a return angler with many questions

I recently graduated A&P school and got a job at an MRO working on aircraft and enjoy going fishing on my days off. I like to fish local streams to just relax and get out.

I have two rods currently a redington red start 2 with a rio trout taper line 5wt
    and a cabellas xst with a rio small mouth bass taper. 7wt

Like i said i have so many questions regarding fly fishing. seems my casting has gotten very rusty in my years off and im having a huge ammount of trouble with these heavier bass bugs

Thanks everyone. I look forward to being part of this forum
    Sean Scott

Default Re: hello all

Hello and welcome,
    -JB-

Hi Sean,welcome,you will find NAFFF a Good Site to be part of,don't be afraid to ask questions whether it's only one or a half dozen.
    Brian.

Blog Entries

Sean: Welcome to the forum, looking forward to reading your posts.
    You might take a look at this fly casting video ( actually three parts) by Tim Landwehr from the Tight Lines Fly Fishing Co. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLfJBTctA4Q]Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    Larry

Blog Entries

Welcome Sean! With those heavier bass bugs, try using a shorter leader with a butt section similar in diameter to the end of the fly line. This will help to transfer the energy of the line into the leader and should help with punching the not-so-aerodynamic flies out toward the fish! Plus, the bass shouldn't be all that leader-shy!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

Sean....from a Scott fan

7. Default Re: hello all

thank you everyone. i was able to get out again today on the local creek. (blacklick for any of you around central ohio) Able to catch one good sized small mouth, about a pound and maybe a foot or so in length. and had a big wound on his head. something must have tried to make him lunch at one point.

Anyways i was able to make a handfull of half decent cats still having problems and probably scaring away most of the fish.

Thanks again
    Sean Scott

Talking Re: hello all

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas

Blog Entries

Sean: You might also look for a local fly shop in your area and take an hour casting lesson, you will be surprised at how fast you progress with a little one-on-one help from a pro. Also see if there is a local fly fishing club or Trout Unlimited or FFF chapter in your area, if you could get someone to mentor you for awhile that would steepen the learning curve considerably.

Larry
    Larry