Never Introduced Myself (in Iowa)

mbchilton

Reaction score
I've made a few posts, but never introduced myself. One of my early posts got me off to a rocky start, but I really do want to be part of this forum community.

I started fishing at a very young age, and got really into bass fishing. I picked up fly fishing in junior high, with hesitancy from my mother who wasn't sure I could figure it out, after watching A River Runs Through It. I spent many summer evenings on a local pond catching bass and bluegill with small poppers.

It took a back seat as I got really into big bass fishing for several years. From Aug 2004-Aug 2005 I lived 45 from one of the best big bass fisheries in the world, Lake Fork. Several times I would make treks back in search of my first 10 pounder. I took a solo trip to San Diego in 2009 to fish with Jed Dickerson in the famed lake where Dottie the 25 pound bass was caught.

In fall 2011 my world was rocked when I made my first trip to The Driftless Area of NE Iowa to trout fish with a co-worker. Since then, I've been consumed with trout, fly fishing, and trying to get back as often as I can. I spend my days working at a high end men's clothing store, and my evenings trying to convince my wife to move closer to trout waters.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I know what you mean about wanting to be closer to The Driftless Area, I have never fished there, but from the photos of the fish and the streams it is definitely a beautiful trout fishery.

Larry

caseywise

Reaction score
welcome to the forum:D
the driftless area is quite a place! the iowa section is definitely on my list to fish in the near future:cool:

casey

mbchilton

Reaction score
Seems like several guys are interested in fishing the driftless, but haven't yet. You should put in on your list for this year. It's a magical place. I'd be happy to help you make plans, and possibly spend a few days fishing with you. Other than gas to get here and drive between streams, it's a really cheap trip.