Hello from KY

streamhound

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Joined the forum a while ago but have been a bit of a lurker. Decided to change that and say hello. Also decided it was time to get a bit more serious about using the flyrod and focusing on all the warm water outlets I have nearby. Catching trout is fun but the wild trout water is 4 hours and another timezone away. So I'll see you over at the warmwater section.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I don't do much warm water fly fishing living here in Wyoming, but when I do it sure is a blast, good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

yonder

Reaction score
Welcome streamhound. I was also a lurker for about 4 years. I am really glad that I finally joined the forum. There are lots of nice people here who can tell good stories and share some good advice. Be sure to post some pictures of your catches this year. We like pictures!!:)

higginsb4

Reaction score
Hello:

I am taking a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky next week, anyone know of any good spots? or flies to throw?

Thanks

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcome:I've only fished for trout for years...but found other very interesting fish to catch on a fly...so have fun;)looking forward to seeing your reports and pics.

moxnichts

Reaction score
Re: Hello from CA

just saying hello,

Like many I assume, I spent my youth and most of my adult life with spinning gear. Along with a couple friends have been mainly concentrating on fly fishing for the last year. That makes me a fly fishing newbe. So much to learn, but its all about getting out even if I only make it look diffucult. I have been enjoying Northern CA rivers like the Stanislaus, Truckee, Pit and Lower Sacramento.

Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Hello from CA

HI,

Welcome to the on-line fishing world. Don't let a 4 hour drive stop you, even though I live up here I still must travel for the best fishing.

Glad you've started posting,

Ard

L

Liphookedau

Hi Streamhound.
Welcome aboard I 'll go along with Ard especially if you have a few days to spare even though I don't fish in The warm Water I have Friends who Drove nearly 4000 Miles through 4 States & return to Catch Bonefish.
Brian.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Welcome aboard streamhound. Looking forward to reading about your warm water adventures. Fly fishing for warm water species is pretty dang exciting too! Good luck with your getting serious about fly fishing...this is definitely the place to learn and share.

jor fly

Reaction score
Hello:

I am taking a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky next week, anyone know of any good spots? or flies to throw?

Thanks

Try the east fork of Indian Creek and swift Camp Creek. Right now there should be some Caddis and Yellow Stone activity, as well as a few localized mayfly hatches. Elk Hair caddis is sure to be a winner. Size 12 stimulator is good if you see any Stone flies hidiing around on some of the trees stream side. Also, try an adams to see what happens. For nymphs, you can't go wrong with a prince nymph. Copper Johns are also deadly. If they are not hitting any of those, use a black and orange or olive wooley bugger. I've found the stocked trout in that stream will hit a bugger stripped in at a medium pace when they wont hit anything else.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Streamhound,

Don't be too discouraged. I'm a Kentuckian also and I've found that warm water fly fishing can be as fun as cold water. (Gills on the fly are a blast!) Further, check out the KY fish and game website. There are several streams in our state that are stocked and tend to have fair populations of holdover Rainbow and Brown Trout. Rock creek, Swift Camp creek, and Laurel creek being among these. Don't forget about some of the tailwaters here that also get attention. The Paintsville Lake tail waters are always a nice spot to check out, if not a little aggravating to access.