Greetings from St. Louis

jgentile

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this forum so I thought I'd say hey.

I reside in the metro St. Louis area and am primarily a trout nut. My favorite water is the blue ribbon section of the Current River. I am usually on water 50 plus days per year through all four seasons.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Joe

jgentile

Reaction score
lol,

I actually joined this forum to gather information on a new stick. I can't seem to find that one rod that will handle all my needs on my favorite body of water. I would pay a Kings ransom if such a rod existed. Well, maybe not quite that much, but you get the idea.

streamwalker

Reaction score
There is no such thing lol! And I think we All joined to gain a little bit of information but it got me a room full of fly fishing gear and a empty bank account LOL. But there is no rod perfect for a stream this is why I back my 5,9' rod with me and I start with my 8,6' I love using that short rod on some places but it would have me frustrated on long open runs. So I just pack both and take my time and change out when I want to!

flyfishmich

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this forum so I thought I'd say hey.

I reside in the metro St. Louis area and am primarily a trout nut. My favorite water is the blue ribbon section of the Current River. I am usually on water 50 plus days per year through all four seasons.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Joe
welocme.

I get to that area quite often. My Inlaws live on the Illinois side. How far from downtown do you fly fish? I have been wanting to bring my stuff but really the only fishing that you get where my inlaws are from involves big boats and big water.
Not really fly water.

jgentile

Reaction score
It is 136 miles from my driveway to the Baptist Camp public access point on the Current River. It is probably another 35 miles to the metro east side of IL.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Hmm so if its 136 miles to the current from you and 35 miles mile to metro east IL, that means you are somewhere close to me. Welcome, from South County. What kind of rod style are you looking for?

jgentile

Reaction score
Geoff,

I want one rod that can handle everything from size 28 trico's on 7x tippet to large size 6 stonefly nymphs under an indicator. I want tip that is soft enough to protect that small tippet, yet I would like the rod to have the balls to punch a big hopper dropper rig through a little bit of wind. I will also throw a few small streamer, crayfish patterns with this stick from time to time. Distance is not an issue as the blue ribbon section of river as you know the average casting distance probably falls in that 25-35' range.