Newbie from The Netherlands

ruud

Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is Ruud, 35 years old and living in The Netherlands.

Im really a novice fly fisherman going through the ropes, fishing on still water here in the Netherlands (since we have no mountains and no streams here).

Stumbled upon this site when I was googling for fly fishing in the Smokies and other places in north and south carolina. I am flying into Atlanta on april 18 for a two week stay and im allready dreaming about fishing for trout on streams and hopefully some bigmouth bass as well.

So expect a thread from me in the southern states part asking for places, outfitters and guides.

Greetings from Netherlands,

Ruud

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcomean Rudd....Gullit or Van Nistelrooy?:D...two great soccer players from your country;)glad to see another european guy here...fell free to ask for infos ,lots of helpful people on this forum:)

williamhj

Reaction score
Welkom! I'm glad you found the forum. I'm sure you'll find folks helpful, or at least some helpful folks :)

ruud

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome so far!

Im planning to buy some gear when I arrive in Atlanta and then head up in the direction of the smokies. I notice on the map a huge green area south of the Smokies, so hoping to find a great starting point for some fishing.

Tips and suggestions for outfitters, spots, places to stay and guides are highly appreciated!

Thanks
Ruud

noreaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome so far!

Im planning to buy some gear when I arrive in Atlanta and then head up in the direction of the smokies. I notice on the map a huge green area south of the Smokies, so hoping to find a great starting point for some fishing.

Tips and suggestions for outfitters, spots, places to stay and guides are highly appreciated!

Thanks
Ruud
Welcome Ruud, from the Canadian east coast.

I'm lucky enough to have almost every kind of water there is. From the ocean, estuary, small and large ponds, to streams, rivers, beaver, and human dams, tiny alder/willow choked creeks and road side culverts.:D Don't rule out a trip to Canada some day:) Our Atlantic Salmon fishing is legendary.

You'll love fishing streams and small rivers. Nothing like coming up upon a large hole you know holds trout. I have caught other species you mentioned, including walleye, pike, pickerel, sunfish, large and small mouth bass. Nothing compares in my mind to those (in my case ) sea run brook trout. But hey I'm a trout guy!!

I was curious, could you tell us more about the kinds of water you fish, and species of fish you catch in the Netherlands? No streams eh? Not cool:D
Good luck on your quest.

phil

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Ruud.......welcome to the forum.....I live about 1 and 1/2 hours from the smokies........later today, I will send you a PM about some good streams to fish......:)
Welcome! Great offer above; nothing beats folks who are 'Boots on the Ground' when it comes to info. Also Google the State(s) Fish and Game web sites. Many will have a wealth of free info (Oregon's is out standing and done almost weekly), even in the fishing regulation book (Montana sets the bar on that one).

Next suggestion, is when you get the suggestions, hit Google Earth and look at the area maps/photo's, etc. No idea about the dating of that area's Sat-photo's, but here in Southern Oregon they were all redone in 2011. What you see is going to be damned near what you'll find boots on the ground.:worthy:

Edit: Almost forgot. Most communities have a "Chamber of Commerce" (Google search, type in Chamber etc., and the community name. If there is one that will pop right up; yet to find one that didn't 'fall all over themselves' supplying 'information.'

Fred

Last edited:

ruud

Reaction score
Thank you sooo much Yonder, will look into your suggestions tomorrow! Exactly what I was hoping to find, some local knowledge!!!

@Noreaster; Netherlands is located below sea level and no mountains so no streams. We have some rivers, but mostly artificial lakes, ponds, canals and still water. Not much 'natural' waters unfortunately. We fish mostly on roach, carp, pike and small bass.

Hoping to fish on trout and big mouth bass! Will be bringing my 7 piece 9ft #6 travelrod

Thanks very much ya'all
Ruud

williamhj

Reaction score
Netherlands is located below sea level
That's something I love about the Dutch. They looked South and East and didn't have any room to grow, so they just made more land :)

I'm glad you connected with someone local. Look forward to hearing about your trip!

ruud

Reaction score
With the help of Yonder, I booked a guide for a day trout wading at Davidson River Outfitters!

Can't wait, 4 weeks to go and very excited allready!!!

Thanks for all the friendly replies and help!

Ruud