Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from very snowy MN

1. Default Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Thanks for the tips guys! I agree Brian, the VPS seems like a great option. Haven't tried one yet (nor the Greys), but I bet it'll make the list of candidates. That 690 RPL just casted beautifully so I'll bet the 590 VPS or RPL will have very similar characteristics. I'll keep an eye our for one around here. Could be a really nice rod for the smaller brookies and browns we have here in SE Minnesota down by the bluff country. By the way, congrats to Aussies on Adam Scott's big win at the Masters.

Scott (there's never enough) mentioned the VXP as well. Not familiar with this model at all. Is this the updated XP from Sage?

Eventually I'll need some reel assistance as well. Anyone want to weigh in on the merits of machined vs. cast? Quite a dizzying amount of options to consider. For a 590 in the $200-$250 range I don't know if I need to get a premium reel that costs more than the rod. Just my opinion but as long as the drag is right, landing smaller fish shouldn't be an issue. However, with an 890 and chasing 10 lb. steel, I might want to consider moving up in class for a little more reliability when it counts. Is this rational thinking on my part?

Feel free to enlighten me with advice from veteran anglers.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Thanks Larry. Good advice. I'm trying out at least 10 rods.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Hello Scott,

I figure that by now you know it's a friendly place to get into discussions. We will try to help and encourage you through every step and with every question.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Default Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Scott, as I understand it the Sage VXP is an "updated" version of the XP. I've never cast an XP so can't speak to those. I wiggled and practice cast the VXP in a couple of different shops before buying mine and have been very happy with it, especially for salmon and steelhead.

In terms of a reasonably priced reel, I'd go with something machined--I think the quality is generally better. You may want to consider a Ross CLA--made in the US, lifetime warranty, disc drag, and reasonably priced. I've got one on my double-handed rod and love it.

Scott

4. Default Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Yeah Scott that Ross CLA does look sharp. Seems like it has a pretty reliable drag system at a decent price, from initial reviews. Hmmm might have to consider this one.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Thanks Ard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12