Hello from very snowy MN

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I just joined up after trolling these forums for the better part of a year! I'm officially bitten by the fly fishing bug. Very new to the sport, in fact I am currently searching for my first rod as we speak (even though cold water trout season has been delayed again by a massive snowstorm and frozen streams). Another convert I guess who has been chasing steelhead on spinning tackle with very limited success and have decided to give fly casting a go. I've been trying out a LOT of equipment and have settled on the 9' 8wt. 4 piece class. Would love to hear from all of you with your thoughts on rods. I'm mostly taken with Winston and Sage, having tried the GVX in Winston (very nice) and the Sage XP. I've also heard the TCX is nice as well. What I am truly looking for, however, is a Graphite III 890-4 RPL. I have heard awesome things about this rod and had the pleasure of casting a 690 RPL and loved it. Probably a challenge to find in a 3 or 4 piece though as I know these are older rods.

Maybe I'll save some of this discussion for a future post and won't bombard you all from the start! Too excited I guess. Wish you all tight lines and I'm looking forward to being a member and regularly reading the forum.

Scott

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Scott: Welcome to the forum!

Best of luck on your search for that perfect fly rod.....take your time and try to cast as many fly rods as you can, just realize that MY perfect fly rod, probably won't be yours and vice versa, that is why it is so important to actually cast the rod before you spend the hard earned cash. Good luck!

duker

Reaction score
Welcome Scott! Good to have another one on these boards.

I like Sage rods myself, and have a 9' 6-wt Flight and a 9'-6" 8-wt VXP. I've used the VXP for both salmon and steelhead (in fact I caught my first steelhead on it) and really like the way it casts. Sage rods have lifetime warranties and I've heard good things about their customer service.

As Fred says, fly fishing is a harsh mistress. I just got into two-handed rods a year ago for steelhead--have managed to catch just one so far--and I tell ya, once you get proficient with a single hander you've just got to try double-handers.

Ah, the madness. . . .

Scott

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Welcome to the forum. Where in Minnesota are you? I'm North of you on the border with Canada. I like Winston. I have one I want buried with me.
:welcomean

As Fred says, fly fishing is a harsh mistress. I just got into two-handed rods--------and I tell ya, once you get proficient with a single hander you've just got to try double-handers.

Ah, the madness. . . .

Scott
Uhhhhhh.....yup. :D

Reaction score
Hey fellas-

Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome. Diver Dan- I'm from Duluth, MN but now live in St. Paul. I've fished all over the Quetico-Superior region as well as a bit of Canada outside of the provincial parks. Spectacular area. Eagerly awaiting the big thaw for sure.

Ted- it seems to me that fly fishing is really growing in our state. More and more people are giving it a try and the state is doing a much better job managing cold water streams and designated trout lakes. It's an enthusiastic little community of anglers.

As far as rods go, I'm trying a GVX tomorrow. I'm assuming it's med. fast to fast with smooth casting. We'll see. Have a good rest of the weekend everyone.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Scott.
From Australia Welcome.
The Sage VPS is Virtually The same Rod as The RPL check out Ebay at times these Rods go for The Right Price.
I bought a VPS #6 9ft 4Pce for $200 + Shipping a few years back .
Also last year I bought a Greys GRXi made by Hardy's it a Beaut Rod don't overlook them as value for money they are as good as you will buy..
Brian.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys! I agree Brian, the VPS seems like a great option. Haven't tried one yet (nor the Greys), but I bet it'll make the list of candidates. That 690 RPL just casted beautifully so I'll bet the 590 VPS or RPL will have very similar characteristics. I'll keep an eye our for one around here. Could be a really nice rod for the smaller brookies and browns we have here in SE Minnesota down by the bluff country. By the way, congrats to Aussies on Adam Scott's big win at the Masters.

Scott (there's never enough) mentioned the VXP as well. Not familiar with this model at all. Is this the updated XP from Sage?

Eventually I'll need some reel assistance as well. Anyone want to weigh in on the merits of machined vs. cast? Quite a dizzying amount of options to consider. For a 590 in the $200-$250 range I don't know if I need to get a premium reel that costs more than the rod. Just my opinion but as long as the drag is right, landing smaller fish shouldn't be an issue. However, with an 890 and chasing 10 lb. steel, I might want to consider moving up in class for a little more reliability when it counts. Is this rational thinking on my part?

Feel free to enlighten me with advice from veteran anglers.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Thanks Larry. Good advice. I'm trying out at least 10 rods.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Scott,

I figure that by now you know it's a friendly place to get into discussions. We will try to help and encourage you through every step and with every question.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

duker

Reaction score
Scott, as I understand it the Sage VXP is an "updated" version of the XP. I've never cast an XP so can't speak to those. I wiggled and practice cast the VXP in a couple of different shops before buying mine and have been very happy with it, especially for salmon and steelhead.

In terms of a reasonably priced reel, I'd go with something machined--I think the quality is generally better. You may want to consider a Ross CLA--made in the US, lifetime warranty, disc drag, and reasonably priced. I've got one on my double-handed rod and love it.

Scott

Reaction score
Yeah Scott that Ross CLA does look sharp. Seems like it has a pretty reliable drag system at a decent price, from initial reviews. Hmmm might have to consider this one.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Thanks Ard