New from Maryland

eurovw89

Reaction score
I have been fly fishing for the past 10yrs mostly for trout on a native trout stream near my house. I want to step up to a bigger rod and bought a TFO BVK rod so I am looking for a reel to match it with. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on these 3 reels that I am looking into buying

Ultralite DD 7000

Allen Kraken

Allen Alpha III

I appreciate everyone's opinion and thoughts on these reels.

Thank you in advance,
Jeff

This site is perfect...i like it alot most websites that are "fishing" forums dont feel like this one. This is very helpful with lots of information.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. I'll let the members share their greetings and knowledge on the tackle but wanted to say hi.

Ard

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Welcome! The lack of replies may be limited knowledge of those particular reels. I know nothing about them, as have never used any of them so can't comment. From comments I've read here & on other sites Allen reels seem to have a good following.

What do you need the reel to do? IMO, other than chasing species such as Tarpon, which can destroy reels if not of good quality, the reel that most of us use does nothing more than hold the line. A good drag system is always a plus for when you need it, but not a necessity for many species.

Since there is a wide variety of needs for fly reels, opinions will vary as to whether a particular reel is suitable for a specific use.

You might also ask about reels in the Fly Reels forum. Perhaps you'll get a better response.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Jeff.
I'd also like to offer a Warm Welcome.
You won't go wrong with an Allen Reel I have 3 in Both The Series I & II their service is Great.
Brian.

eurovw89

Reaction score
thanks everyone, and yes this forum is very informative. Been browsing a few hours each day and still haven't looked over everything.

Is there any Maryland fly fishing men/women.....I live in Harford Co. and usualliy fish a native trout stream about 30mins from here, and sometimes the Susky River. I want to get into fly fishing for Rock up here on the River. Anyone fish around or near here?

Thanks

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Just a few thoughts from someone whose 'flicked fluff' for 60'ish years.

Number One: 98% of the time a reel is just a place to store you line.

Number Two: 2% of the time a fish (trout) will ever see the back end of a 90 foot line.

Number three: Fishing for 'trout' you don't need a reel with a drag that would stop a King Salmon in its tracts. Heck, most of the most Hardy Reels don't have anything beyond a 'clicker' for a drag.

Number four: Most newest/best/top of the line are just marketing hype.

Last number: Pick a reel that balances your rod (in hand) with little (if any) line on same. You pick one too heavy and the rod will fish tip high. Tiring over the course of a day? Pick one a tad 'too light' and you'll fish tip down, which is where you want that rod to to be?

Couple of situations (that comes to mind anyway) is you're choice of fishing 'style.' If 'high stick nymphing' there a slightly heavier weight reel brings something to the Party. Fish tip down, then a lighter reel may well be in order.

Just my .02 cents, but what do I know? I fish for Steelhead 95% of the time. Trout Guys here have forgotten 90% more than I ever knew.

fae

dhaynes

Reaction score
If you're from Harford and fishing 30 minutes away, you;re probably hitting the gunpowder....The local chapter of Trout Unlimited is having a spring picnic and fair on Saturday, June 1 in the Bunker Hill area of Gunpowder State Park. Event runs from 11:00 to 2:30. We'll have some vendors, some demos, an entomology workshop and a bluegrass band... Come out and join us and meet other fly fishers. We'll fill you up with hotdogs and baked beans! Non-members and families welcome, too.....

BTW, anyone else in the area reading this, come on down!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I'm in MD, near Annapolis, but don't do much trout fishing. Did in the past, when I was younger & had more time to travel around, & less responsibilities. I've fished in most trout waters in MD east of the Hagerstown area. Never ventured too far west of there to fish.

I now primarily fish the tidal rivers & creeks for panfish, bass, Striped Bass & Bluefish. Much closer to home. I drive a tractor trailer for a living, so my time is not what it used to be.

However, I may have to make a change soon. My oldest son just purchased a house in Monkton, about a mile from the Gunpowder. My wife & I enjoy spending time with the grandsons! :D