Greetings neighbors and fellow line slappers

rockthief

Reaction score
My home is the wonderful Willamette Valley of Western Oregon. The mountains and the coast and the desert are all within easy driving distance. We are blessed with rivers here, truly blessed.
I began to fly fish back in 2003 so I started late in life. My wife had been horribly injured in a horse riding accident and I was working and taking care of her. Did not get much sleep for a very long time. I was going crazy; had no recreation, really no time for it, but I needed time for me. I was losing it. One day out of nowhere I thought about fly fishing. I do not know where the thought came from but there it was. I bought a basic outfit and went out the back door, crossed the yard into the pasture and started throwing the line around. Thank goodness for online resources. Eventually I gave the rod and reel to a fellow's foster son. I can still see his smile. Anyway, I bought more rods and reels and found time for myself. I fished for bluegills down the road a ways and for cutties and rainbows in the little river that runs through town. Fish were caught including a lovely coastal cutthroat on a fly I tied. It was my first trout. To this day I could show you exactly where I caught it even though it has been more than ten years. Since then I have accumulated a richness of rods and a cornucopia of fly reels. I became a better fly fisher and my wife slowly healed to the point where that was that for her. She is my hero because she was supposed to be a cripple and you should see her walk. My fly fishing and her body got better together. Probably both are as good as they will ever be and both are likely better than either of us thought they could be. So, this dear sport saved my sanity. I owe it something and try to give to new fly fishers whatever I can whenever I can. THere are a few things that are truly dear to me: my wife, my dog, my children and my fly fishing gear. Good fishing to all of you stewards of the water.
Paul

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Paul,

I've read a lot of introductions here and you are pretty high on the "how I got here" content list for best ever!

I've been wondering when you were going to tell us both who you are and where you put those boulders you took :D

Ard

rockthief

Reaction score
Ard, would that I HAD taken those boulders, but dang it I could not carry three hundred pounds. ;)

My wife was never supposed to walk. People in town still talk about them crying watching her stagger sideways by their businesses around the block, obviously in horrible pain but forcing her body to obey. She lifted boulders of a different kind.

Anyway, I am glad to be here. I registered a couple years ago but forgot about this place. Found it while doing some research. Cheers!

Have a new reel to line now.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Welcome back to the forum. If your introduction is indicative of what we can expect from your future posts, it will be great to have you posting with us! That's some heavy stuff right there. Glad to hear things turned out well for both of you:thumbsup::thumbsup:

rockthief

Reaction score
Had to pause when I read that. Must have been quite a time for you both.

x2 all that Ard said. Welcome!
Well sir it was hellish, but with enough goodness in the mix to keep us going. Fly fishing was part of that mix. It really was and it still is. Wherever that idea to try this sport came from, I tell you it is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Fish on! Thanks for the kind welcome. Feels like I can hang one of my many fishing hats here.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Ditto all those above.

I have to admit, Oregon is on my list of destinations to trout fish. It's really so close and I've driven all the way to Astoria and admired the rivers and streams over which I crossed on my way. The coastal cutthroat is quite high on my wish list. Just something about those coastal ranges that get to me, it is like a rainforest compared to the westslope I live on. I love it over there.

This summer my we - my wife, daughter and I - are going to make a trek to show our 5 year old the ocean. I'm going to lobby for Oregon over Washington, maybe I'll get my chance!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: Welcome to the forum! That was quite the story, congrats on getting your wife back and your success with the fly rod.