Just a little howdy

sgtgunner

Reaction score
I didn't see any "Intro" area, but wanted to say hi to yall.

I fished a bit with my Dad growing up in Oregon, but when we moved to Texas when I was 12 the fishing pretty much stopped. A little here and there but nothing serious. 21 years later I got divorced and started fishing a lot. Almost exclusively for bass with spinning gear.

After talking with my Dad a few weeks ago about an interest in fly fishing he dug his old fly rod out and gave it to me. It's at least a 22 year old Abu Garcia 6 wt combo. I've been trying to teach myself to fish it but looking to get some pro help soon as I can. I've been having a lot of fun with it so far despite not getting my first catch on a fly yet. Almost been neglecting my spinning gear.

Welp, that's it. Just wanted to give a little into and say hi.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Take some time a browse around and use the search function (also not it has an advanced search feature), but don't hesitate to ask questions we will try to help you out. Also take a look at YouTube, there are hundreds of fly fishing videos and a good number that offer instruction on casting and fly fishing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Sgt,

You may notice I moved your post to member intros, it's hidden in the Back at The lodge sub forums. Anyway, you're here and you can post away now. I'm guessing you're still in Texas, is that correct?

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

sgtgunner

Reaction score
First of all, THANK YOU for the welcomes! Also for putting me in the right spot. I thought I looked hard enough for the intro section, apparently not!

Yes, I still live in Texas (I filled out the profile part) and currently living in Waco. I have spent many hours watching YouTube videos on fly fishing. They have been helpful for sure, but I think some actual coaching and instruction would be more helpful. And of course practice. I managed to hook myself in the back a couple weekends ago. Bet that was comical to any on-lookers!

I've also spent quite a bit of time reading posts here and on another forum before I joined. The attitude, friendliness and general helpfulness of most of the members is what led me to join instead of just lurking.

Something I have already noticed while playing with this fly rod is that when I'm fishing....I don't seem to really care if I catch one or not. When I'd be out with my spinning gear, even this past weekend, I would find myself a little disappointed and frustrated if I didn't catch anything. I'd blame it on my tackle and go buy the newest fad in lures to try (not having a boat played a part too) just to loose it to some sunken structure or loose interest in it when "it didn't work". I was more wrapped up in imagining what my bait was doing, how it was presenting, ect to take much notice of my surroundings. I just wanted a big fat bass.
With the fly I find myself slowing down, watching nature in between poorly thrown casts, listening, watching and actually being a part of my environment instead of an intruder. It's something else...but I know I don't need to explain that to yall.

I have a LOT to learn, but I'm not in any hurry. Sure I want to land my first fish on a fly, but I want it to be because I did something right. Not just because I got lucky. I've already learned quite a bit in reading the threads here, and plan to keep the education rolling.

Thanks again yall!