Just a shout out to members here.

furnacefella

Reaction score
I am new to your forum but have been lurking for sometime. I just wanted to thank you all for the great reviews and adventures you have shared.

I am a member of several hunting and fishing forums and what you have here is very special. People can voice their opinion without being belittled or made a fool of. There seems to be an internet mentality that proving someone wrong is more important than having a constructive opinion to add to a discussion.

There seems to be a consensus here that more than one opinion can be correct. One isn't left reading the regurgitated ramblings of internet bullies who base their reasoning entirely on something they have read.

My late father made it very clear to my brother and I at a young age that creating a loser in no way makes you a winner. He would be quite comfortable here I am sure.

Anyhow, I was searching for a lightweight rod to fish smaller streams and creeks in central and west central Alberta. The catch was that not only did I want to cast very small flies, I wanted to cast them in ever changing conditions to large Browns in tight cover.

Contrary to those that are paid for their opinion and bucking the trend of the latest is greatest, it became obvious that the Sage ZXL was a favorite here. Unable to lay my hands on one I decided to order an 8'6" 4wt online. Also from information here I decided to go all in and order a Hardy Ultralite DD and SA Mastery Series WF to match.

I absolutely love this set up. It is exactly what I wanted and much more than I expected. I have been having a wonderful spring inspite of the flooding here and have already managed many nice Browns. Many would have never been hooked and many would have never been landed without this set up.

My main rod is a Z-Axis and it will always have a place to call home. I think with all it's glory the Z-Axis may have overshadowed what seems to me like the ultimate trout rod. It is sad to think that this wonderful rod is now discontinued when so many have never had the chance to experience it.

I won't post much (as obviously I tend to babble on) but just had to let you guys know how much your insight is appreciated.

Here is a pic of the ZXL and Hardy during a Brown Drake hatch. The trout was quickly returned to her hideout and inspite of this experience I was able to sneak within several feet a few days later. She did reject my offering however.

[/URL][/IMG]

Not far upstream her boy friend was good enough to offer up some excitement.

[/URL][/IMG]

streamborn_jr77

Reaction score
everything you said about the other forums just putting people down and making them feel dumb for asking questions is 100% correct! This is the best forum online hands down!! I plan on sticking around for many many years!

stuie675

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Also love the Hardy DD, I got the black edition and LOVE it.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have to tell you that I picked up a ZXL 3wt. for Christmas and just love the feel of it. My # 1 go to rod for stream fishing. Hoping to pick up a 4wt. at some point. Sounds like you are enjoying that setup.:frogdance

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Loved those two browns!
Sounds like you have got a pretty sweet setup, congrats.
My main everyday rod is a Sage One, not a big fan though, I find the tip is a little too stiff for my taste especially in situations where you want to drop down in Tippett size, it casts great though. My streamer rod is a Sage Z-Axis, 7 wt, it will throw the big meat. :D
Glad you enjoy the forum, you are right, we weed out the Internet bullies, just got rid of one as a matter of fact.

furnacefella

Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I was just wanting to give a little feedback on how much I was enjoying the ZXL so I put it under "Fly Rods".

I know they are disappearing from store shelves at closeout pricing and soon will only be available in the used market. I had to look around to find one in the configeration I was after.

I maybe should have titled the thread differently as I already have introduced myself a few threads down. :redface:

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
You're doing just fine on both counts. Welcome to the Asylum, they keep me locked in Ward 3, or so I'm told.:wow:

Fred
Ward 3, I'm just down the hall in 2, cant understand why I've never seen you before...:lol2:

Anyway, welcome furnacefella - hang on for a great ride. Some great anglers reside here and they have much to offer.

Kelly.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
furnacefella, welcome! Superb intro, and story! Beautiful trout too!:clap:

This is certainly a fine group of maniacs, er, fly fishers & although you say you won't post much, I hope you will! :D