Newb from Louisville

gr8fulmed

Reaction score
49 yo physician. Just tried fly fishing for the first time on a recent vacation outside Knoxville. Seemed metaphorical to life similar to how many see golf but much more resonant with my view of life and nature's beauty. Looking forward to learning and enjoying. Any and all advice is welcome. No need to reply - just paying my respects to those who've gone before me.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. Looks like you are in a good area to fly fish. Tons of information on this forum, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions. Here are some ideas to gain more information:
Youtube has hundreds of videos on fly fishing, fly casting, etc.
Take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, it has some great videos and other information for beginers.
How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
Take a look at the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer, lots of great episodes for beginners.
The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer
Take a look at Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio, same deal lots of episodes that you will find interesting. I think you have to sign up to listen to the archive episodes but it is free for a limited time.
Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing
Also ask around the local fly shops to see if there is a local fly fishing club in your area. If you can find someone to mentor you, your fly fishing skills will get better much faster than trying to learn on your own.

Larry