Hello all, this is my first post.

heelerdog

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just a short intro, and a little about me. I got into fly fishing around eight years ago. I bought a 35 dollar Martin package deal at a General Store while on a camping trip. I now tie flies, build rods (I no longer own a production rod), and have gotten my youngest daughter into this sport. My favorite fishing is small creek for rainbows.
Thanks for taking the time to read my jibber jabber,
Dan

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your participation and hearing about your fishing in your area.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Welcome, Dan! I too love small creeks and own a heeler... Post a pic of yours when you get a chance (my fishing buddy, Montgomery, has made several cameos on here and will again as soon as I load the pics from last week)

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum!

Like Casey, I'd love to see some pics of your custom rod work. I am trying to get more serious about it myself, I have another blank on the way.

...o and is your dog a blue or a red? I have a mixed heeler mutt; hilarious, weird animals they are!

Joni

Reaction score
Hi there Dan...Look forward to reading more from you!

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Not to hijack this nice fella's intro post, but since he has similar interests... Thanks for the compliment, Fred!

Great view of the valley behind

Pretty little 'bows on the 279 LL (pics of this in the Rod Love)

Cowdog likes the rainbows

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Excellent extra photos. Remember being on the beach and cleaning/pan frying Steelhead stakes over a fire. A plate for me, a plate for the Dog. Baked Spud done in tin-foil on the coals, with a wad of butter and Onion.

Bliss!

Making sure all the bones were out for the Dog was a pain in the butt.

heelerdog

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome. Bear, my red heeler, got cancer last year so I sent him home to wait for me. I miss him every day, he was an awesome companion. I will dig for photo's I unfortunately do not have any on this computer, recent crash victim.

This is my "Marine Corps" rod. An 8' 9" 3 wt. MHX blank.

Self explanatory pictures

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Hopefully the videos work. This is my favorite fishing moment, and I was not there. I was fishing further down the creek, while my wife and daughter slept. I did hear the screaming though. This is her first 100% solo fish on the fly. Didn't really seem to faze her though.

MVI_0666.mp4 Video by heelerdog | Photobucket

MVI_0667.mp4 Video by heelerdog | Photobucket

I built her rod, I call it the "Pink Nightmare". Secretly I really like it, regardless of the pink blank, and alternating lime green, purple, and hot pink wraps, it fishes really nice.

Last edited:

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Very nice! That's neat to have that on video. I can't wait to have kids and take them fishing

kayo

Reaction score
Sweet looking rod Dan. Welcome to the forum. I'm building a Loop currently and trying to decide if to use CP on the threads. Did you use CP on yours?

heelerdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. kayo I do use CP on the wraps for a couple reasons 1: it keeps the color of the thread instead of the color of the blank taking over and washing the thread color out (possibly) 2. I put on 2 coats of CP to "push" any air pockets or air bubbles out of the thread. It makes for an all around cleaner finish when you apply the finish to the wraps, and lowers any potential air problems coming up while applying the finish.