Hello from Mobile,Al

rbdweezy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new here and new to fly fishing. I have been fishing pretty much my whole life and grew up in upstate NY fishing rivers and big lakes, but just very recently took up fly fishing. I am completely enthralled with the challenges and strategies involved in fly versus regular fishing. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thanks for a wonderful forum.

Shane

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of fishing around Mobile, fresh and salt. What is your target fish?

Shane is a famous name to me. "Shane come back, come back Shane". That is little Joey calling to Shane not to leave the ranch. The Movie Shane won the Academy Award for best picture in 1953.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! I hear there's some good fishing around Destin, but a boat is needed for lots of it.

rbdweezy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. Frank, so far I have been doing a little "ditch fishin" for bluegill, sunfish and some small bass. It has been really helping me to learn the basics of casting and such, but I would love to catch some larger fish once I improve my skills. BigCliff, I have been to Destin before for the beaches (which are absolutely gorgeous), but not for the fishing. I am definately going to make the trip back for the fishin soon though.

Joni

Reaction score
Welcome for sure. My sister lives in Alabama (Jacksonville hiway). They don't talk much about fly fishing but they do fish. She has about had it with the storms you all have been getting. Wants to move back here or Vegas.
She lived in NY for a while also...so cool that you joined in.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Last time I was in Destin I also spent more time on the beach than fishing as well. That's what spring break is for.

Tried some surf fishing on those gorgeous beaches, but that water was friggin cold. The surf gets deep alot quicker than I'm used to, especially for a beach on the gulf.