Hello from an old fart.

airwhipper

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this forum. A little back ground. Moved to southern Minnesota from northern Indiana almost 20 years ago. Good move. I tried fly fishing almost 25 years ago but, since I had no one to mentor me, I pretty much had to learn every thing on my own. The same way I learned bow hunting, bowfishing (my other favorite past time), pursuing catfish at night and small game hunting. Lots of reading of magazines and books. Even today, people figure when you're in your late 50's, you know it all. That would be great if it were true.
Any way, I want to get back in the fine art of tying wind knots and catching trees. I'll ask a lot of questions that may seem pretty elementary to most of you but I'll try to keep them to a minimum.
I'm an HVACR technician, a low voltage electrician and a stationary engineer by trade. Not sure why, but I am. Recently got reassigned to a night maintenance position so I now work 11:00 at night till 7:30 in the morning. Advantage here is that I get the water or woods all to myself. Disadvantage is that, a 58 year old man doesn't do well on 3-4 hours of sleep a day.
I'll try not to be too big a pain in the butt. I think I told my wife the same thing almost 37 years ago. She didn't believe me either.
Thanks for letting me tap your brains and, maybe someday, help guide others in the right direction.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Welcome! I'll be 58 this month, and mostly work at night driving a tractor trailer. I have to unload with hand carts too, about 45,000 lbs a week. I can certainly relate to your situation, as it's taking it's toll on me! Fred's right about the medications!:D

This is a great group here & many old farts, so you should fit right in. Many of us are also self taught, so we have that in common also!

Glad you can join us & any help you need, just ask. We really don't mind the questions, gives us something to do when we're not napping! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

What's an 'old fart'?

For some on-line encouragement and all the advice you'll ever need you've come to the right place. There's almost always someone on the forum so you won't be lonely here.

Welcome,

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum.Tons of infos and lots of great people here....including some old farts:Dturned 61 a few months ago and feel fine ....thank you:D

yonder

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.....I can also relate to night shift work. Those were some tough years. I managed about two to three hours of sleep a day. You will find alot of great people here, who are more than willing to help out. Thanks for joining!!:)

Just wondering.......when does old fart status officially begin??

plecain

Reaction score
Just wondering.......when does old fart status officially begin??
I think it's when you have one of those pill dispensers that are labelled Sun-Sat, and AM, Noon, PM.

I'm 66 and, sad to say, have one of those pill boxes.

On the plus side, they're dirt cheap and make good fly boxes.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I think it's when you have one of those pill dispensers that are labelled Sun-Sat, and AM, Noon, PM.

I'm 66 and, sad to say, have one of those pill boxes.

On the plus side, they're dirt cheap and make good fly boxes.
Never thought about it, but I think PC's nailed it. Have one and refuse to use it, don't need any meds' so just vitamin pills/some supplements. I like that fly box idea, another thought that hadn't crossed my 71 year old mind.

fae

siege

Reaction score
Welcome aboard ! This is a great collection of people with kindred interests. There is a huge amount of information exchanged here daily, by a collection of interesting , knowledgeable, and sometimes amusing folks. Sounds like you will fit right in.

I'm so old I fart dinosaur dust, but I'm still able to sit up and feed myself, and wade an occasional stream on weekends. Like you, I'm still working. At my current rate of saving, I will be able to retire comfortably when I'm about 311 years old. Until then, it's just weekends for fishing.

Glad to have another member to enjoy the forum. Stay involved, it keeps you younger ! :cool:

airwhipper

Reaction score
Thanks all. Old fart status is on a sliding scale. At one time, old was someone who didn't sit in the same classroom all day. Then, old was someone who could drive. Next, you were old if you could legally drink beer. Now? I'm old because I don't try to impress anyone. You know the routine.
I look forward to learning from this fine collection of outstanding fly anglers.
Again, thanks.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Hello airwhipper and welcome. I'm turning 66 in a few months and hate to ask what they would call me! I was away from the sport for many years and have just re-entered the game. I think that the gear has almost as much attraction to me as the actual fishing. I don't catch a lot of those hawgs you will see posted on the forum. Brookies around here are 6" to 12" normally. I will have to get out and look a little harder. My practice has helped me with the wind knots but I still joust with the occasional tree, especially when trying to get that extra few feet of line out. I hope that you will enjoy as I do, the feedback that members offer. Keeps me going all winter. Tight Lines from another "old fart".:D

jimp

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, good bunch of guys here, but you're not the only "old fart" here, so be careful who you call "old". ;) I've been called worse than an fart, so the old fart just means I don't smell bad anymore. :eek: