Posting Tips

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to All,

Here are a couple of tips to make your forum experience more enjoyable.

When I read a post that asks for information the first thing I do is look at the poster's age and location. I find both of these items useful in preparing my response. The location is really useful and everyone should include it in their profile. You don't have to give your exact location but at least give the general area or state. Your age is not as important but it does help give the responder a clue as to your perspective. For instance, a teenager will look at things differently than someone who is a senior.

When you ask a question about equipment such as a rod or reel. You need to specify what your target fish is and how much you want to spend. There is a broad range of rods and reels and if I recommend something that cost $600 and your budget is $200 I have missed the target complety. We can save some time and get a meaningful answer the first time around if all the information is presented with the question.

I also think signing your post with a first name makes it a much friendly forum but that may just be me. I always try to address a poster by their first name if I know it. When someone uses my first name I always get that old fuzzy feeling that I am talking to a friend.

This is a great forum and I am proud to be a member.

Here are some FAQ's that will help you get around in NAFFF

Frank

Frank

Last edited:

Redbone311

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to post a reply to buy a rod from the classifieds section - but nothing is there to click on to do that. Do I have do be on here a while first, or so many messages or just what?

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
….or so many messages or just what?
Yes you will be able to use private messages to deal with the $ end of deals after contributing 50 (edit: only 25!) meaningful posts [thanks trev and Ard]. hope that helps 🙂 btw welcome!

perhaps you might find someone who has pm privileges to contact the seller on your behalf … the seller can contact you.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to post a reply to buy a rod from the classifieds section - but nothing is there to click on to do that. Do I have do be on here a while first, or so many messages or just what?
So you tried to make a reply to the ad in the classified section? I think that would work since it is a reply post just like if you replied to a regular post.

Redbone311

Reaction score
Alright, maybe it's a good thing. As it will slow me down a bit on the buying. LOL Thanks guys for your help and input.
Very interested in trying the Euro Nymphing thing. I have already bought a T&T Contact (gen 1) 10'8" 3wt and a Hardy 4000 (which seems a little big/heavy for the rod) but got such a good deal on both. I'm going camping along the Farmington, CT river 1st week in June and just want a second rod in case I break the thin tip of the Thomas and Thomas. I'm thinking a Moonshine 10'6" 3wt as a backup. Almost bid on a Cortland tonight and held out for a used Moonshine instead.

trev

Reaction score
@Redbone311 if you type "@" into any reply box followed by "username" as in @Redbone311 the software will automatically send a notification to the named member that you mentioned them in a post, doing this coup[led with your message should notify @fredy that you wish to comunicate with him, however you might not get a response, since fredy has not been signed in since he made that advertisement a year and a half ago.
Actually most ads that are a year or more old are likely to be dead ends.
Your post count to PM needs be 25 not 50 the 50 post rule is to advertise in the classifieds. The 50 post rule is in a sticky at the top of that forum however the 25 post rule announcement is not, it is buried in a thread titled "Unsolicited Private massages" started by @Ard on Dec 2 2020, in a post by former owner @Editor https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...olicited-private-messages.906023/post-1577023 and perhaps should be made a sticky in the general forum rules. This topic seems to come up monthly as we get new members, that may fall to @vsadmin as the new admin.
It has also been noted that the posts count be meaningful posts, some new users simply started replying to many older threads with inane stuff in an effort to increase the [post count and are no longer members.

Redbone311

Reaction score
@Redbone311 if you type "@" into any reply box followed by "username" as in @Redbone311 the software will automatically send a notification to the named member that you mentioned them in a post, doing this coup[led with your message should notify @fredy that you wish to comunicate with him, however you might not get a response, since fredy has not been signed in since he made that advertisement a year and a half ago.
Actually most ads that are a year or more old are likely to be dead ends.
Your post count to PM needs be 25 not 50 the 50 post rule is to advertise in the classifieds. The 50 post rule is in a sticky at the top of that forum however the 25 post rule announcement is not, it is buried in a thread titled "Unsolicited Private massages" started by @Ard on Dec 2 2020, in a post by former owner @Editor https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...olicited-private-messages.906023/post-1577023 and perhaps should be made a sticky in the general forum rules. This topic seems to come up monthly as we get new members, that may fall to @vsadmin as the new admin.
It has also been noted that the posts count be meaningful posts, some new users simply started replying to many older threads with inane stuff in an effort to increase the [post count and are no longer members.
Thank you very much for your tip. I will try that. Yes I figure it may be a long shot but I'd like to give it a try in any case. I want to try that rod.

Redbone311

Reaction score
Maybe you or someone else could notify "
fredy

Messages 138 Reaction score 3 Location Hackettstown, NJ
That I am interested in buying his "F/S NEW TFO Drift in NJ" and he can contact me here Thank you in advance for any and all help
@fredy
Hey Fredy - I want to buy your TFO Drift rod!!! Call me at the number above listed here. Can pay you with Paypal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Money order, Check, etc - whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
@Redbone311 I sent @fredy a pm and included you. if he’s around at all, he know your desire for that rod. based on how long it has been since he posted it’s a long shot, but…

btw i would recommend editing the post above to remove your phone no.

hope this helps

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand you wanting to contact a seller and have only removed a few posts but I'd warn against posting your phone info online.

fredy

Reaction score
@Redbone311 I sent @fredy a pm and included you. if he’s around at all, he know your desire for that rod. based on how long it has been since he posted it’s a long shot, but…

btw i would recommend editing the post above to remove your phone no.

hope this helps
I received your message. The rod sold.

Thanks,
Fredy

glenn MORI

Reaction score
Hi to All,

Here are a couple of tips to make your forum experience more enjoyable.

When I read a post that asks for information the first thing I do is look at the poster's age and location. I find both of these items useful in preparing my response. The location is really useful and everyone should include it in their profile. You don't have to give your exact location but at least give the general area or state. Your age is not as important but it does help give the responder a clue as to your perspective. For instance, a teenager will look at things differently than someone who is a senior.

When you ask a question about equipment such as a rod or reel. You need to specify what your target fish is and how much you want to spend. There is a broad range of rods and reels and if I recommend something that cost $600 and your budget is $200 I have missed the target complety. We can save some time and get a meaningful answer the first time around if all the information is presented with the question.

I also think signing your post with a first name makes it a much friendly forum but that may just be me. I always try to address a poster by their first name if I know it. When someone uses my first name I always get that old fuzzy feeling that I am talking to a friend.

This is a great forum and I am proud to be a member.

Here are some FAQ's that will help you get around in NAFFF

Frank

Frank
Understood, thanks for the advice Frank.
glenn (age:63 living in Osaka, Japan)

Reactions: Ard