New Member from the St. Louis Area

dadof10

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Steve from Lake St. Louis, MO. Due to my 23 year old son asking for a fly rod recently, my interest in fly fishing has returned.

I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s in Mississippi fishing mainly for crappie and catfish. My Dad had a fly rod that fascinated me. I picked it up and started using it. Using mainly the Lee Wulff stories in Sports Afield magazine, I learned to effectively cast. Living near a golf course, I spent a lot of time pestering the small bass, bluegill, and sunfish in the ponds on that golf course.

I'm now 55. My 22 year old son is a huge outdoorsman. We deer hunt together and he fishes - a lot. This summer he asked for a fly rod for his birthday so I got him one. It also has peeked my interest in fly fishing again. I rather enjoy the challenge of doing things the unconventional way such as using fountain pens and deer hunting the old fashion with black power rifles (loose powder and round balls).

I am researching fly rod outfits right now and the best weight outfit to get. I mainly will use it on warm water fish but I guarantee that at some point I will be going after trout in the some of the excellent trout streams we have in Missouri.

I also have property with a nice creek that I would like to fish for sunfish and small bass.

At this point, I'm thinking of either a 5 or 6 weight outfit. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

Thanks and looking forward to learning.

Dadof10

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Great read and great intro. Welcome to the Board! As to a 5 or 6 wt rod its almost a coin flip if you're fishing for trout. The 6 will allow you to toss larger flies (thinking about your Bass fishing here), but the 5 would be more fun for trout.

Buy both, well actually get the 5 and a 7. Not much you couldn't handle between the two.

Fred

jgentile

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I'm in St. Louis as well. Wildwood to be exact. You are lucky in that we have two excellent fly shops in St. Louis (Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955) and (T. Hargrove Fly Fishing). Both of which are located on Manchester a mile east and west respectively from Brentwood Blvd. FC has more stock, Hargroves has been known to have a more "Cheers" atmosphere. FC has recently undergone a major customer service overhaul as their former shop mgr. was known to be a bit aloof. If you go there ask for Russ, Dan or Evan. They can hook you up.

As far as our trout streams go you really don't need a 9' 5 or 6wt. rig unless you are going to do a lot of indicator/multi rig nymphing. If you are going to fish our one big tailwater (Taneycomo) a lot then you will want one, but if you are going to fish BSC, Little Piney, MC, Current for trout then a 3 or 4wt will work nicely. BSC, Little Piney and MC are all heavily wooded streams behind you. BSC and MC have dense overhead canopies so my weapon of choice for all three is a fiberglass 7'3 3 wt. made by (http://cbarclayflyrods.com). Chris is a local St. Louis guy who builds an outstanding rod. The Current is more open so a 9' rod is fine if that is your cup of tea. That shorter rod or another rod of similar ilk will serve you well also on that small private stream for long ears, gills and small bass.

A couple of other little items. The Orvis 7'9 5wt "Far & Fine" model is something to consider. When I'm not fishing my 3wt glass I'm grabbing that and it is my primary rod for our small stream Ozark smallies. handles nymphing for me on the Current for trout and easily handles the smaller streamer patterns I use for smallies. While this rod is a discontinued model you can contact Jim West at the Orvis custom shop. He can roll an identical blank and ship it to you at around $140.00 or build you a rod for close to $350.00.

Last thing. There is another fly shop not too close, but not too far away in Lebanon, MO just outside of Bennett Springs State Park. Reading's Fly Shop. I don't think he has a real website, but here is his Facebook page. (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Readings-Fly-Shop/104649066267440) He has a ton of stock, glass, boo, graphite and a nice selection of used equipment. He also has a bona fide casting pond. Just something to consider.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to give me a shout via PM or email and yes, I will be happy to fish with you on your private stream. :grin:

Last edited:

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Missourian. Lots of good and knowledgeable people here.

Fred is right, a 5 or 6 wt would work for what you want to do.

spm

oldnewguy

Reaction score
Welcome!

I love my 8" 4wt for streams and Stillwater. Lots of great action with this lightweight rod.

For the big trout at our club, a 9' 5wt can handle anything.

Tight lines,

Joe

dadof10

Reaction score
Buy both, well actually get the 5 and a 7. Not much you couldn't handle between the two.
Fred,

Thanks for the advice. I especially agree with get two. I can see the need for maybe even more than two.

I think I agree with starting with a 5 wt. I've been in touch with a local buddy of mine who is big into fly fishing and that was his recommendation also.

Thanks,
Steve

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Joe and SPM,

Thanks for the advice and your thoughts.

I'll be posting my experiences as I go along.

Steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Steve: Welcome to the forum and the return to fly fishing! I'll let the others give you local advice.

M

mridenour

Welcome to the forum. I live in the St. Louis area. I try to fish all the Missouri trout waters as well as all the trout waters in the United States. Not doing so well getting to all the water in the USA but when I conquer that I am going to go worldwide...lol.

Just noticed you are from Lake St. Louis. I grew up near there and am in the area all the time even though I kind of live in East Egypt.

labradorguy

Reaction score
You know, we never had that STL meet and greet that we were talking about in Jan.....

labradorguy

Reaction score
Derailed it seems. Work, kids, life in general....lol.

Should we give this another go? The South County Hooters has an old antique fishing rod on the wall, we could meet up there and admire the decor while enjoying a couple beers. ;)

troutn

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Steve from Lake St. Louis, MO. Due to my 23 year old son asking for a fly rod recently, my interest in fly fishing has returned.

I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s in Mississippi fishing mainly for crappie and catfish. My Dad had a fly rod that fascinated me. I picked it up and started using it. Using mainly the Lee Wulff stories in Sports Afield magazine, I learned to effectively cast. Living near a golf course, I spent a lot of time pestering the small bass, bluegill, and sunfish in the ponds on that golf course.

I'm now 55. My 22 year old son is a huge outdoorsman. We deer hunt together and he fishes - a lot. This summer he asked for a fly rod for his birthday so I got him one. It also has peeked my interest in fly fishing again. I rather enjoy the challenge of doing things the unconventional way such as using fountain pens and deer hunting the old fashion with black power rifles (loose powder and round balls).

I am researching fly rod outfits right now and the best weight outfit to get. I mainly will use it on warm water fish but I guarantee that at some point I will be going after trout in the some of the excellent trout streams we have in Missouri.

I also have property with a nice creek that I would like to fish for sunfish and small bass.

At this point, I'm thinking of either a 5 or 6 weight outfit. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

Thanks and looking forward to learning.

Dadof10
Welcome to the forum! I live in Foristell as we recently moved from Wentzville. It sounds like you have been given a lot of good advice already! It also looks like a lot of the frequent contributors, in our area, have also chimed in to welcome you as well. Good luck with the fishing! My son and I just go back from the Current River. I will make a post later in the week. Always a great time to spend with your son.