Onemississipp - late intro

onemississipp

Reaction score
So here I am about 9 months into my fly fishing journey, most have seen my name around the board but I thought I should do my introduction.

My name is Dustin, though the older I get the more I think about just using my initials, D.W.; Dustin sounds like a kids name. I am 39 years old, live in Tupelo, MS (Deep South), work fulltime, attend College half-time (B.S. Environmental Science), husband and father full-time. Short back story on how I got here:

I have always enjoyed fishing, warm water as I never knew there was anything else, I had not paid fly fishing any attention until I saw a scientific angler combo (5wt) on sale for half price (2007). Bought it and the dvd and began to try it, did not work out and in the corner it went. Came across another half price deal on a St. Croix combo (5wt) bought it (2008), it also went in the corner. Bought a cheap vise and material package (2008), I seemed determined to fly fish at some point in my life, just wasn't sure when. Bought LL.Bean book all about fly fishing (2008) and some fly tying bench side reference books (2008). Tied a couple flies and caught some bluegill and bass (2008). I am in the deep south at this point and fly fishing is not common, so no help. I am whipping this fly rod like a crazed circus trainer and somehow catching fish (2008). I wish I had it on video! 2010 I made a trip to Eastern Kentucky and caught a rainbow on the fly rod and a trip to the Smokys and caught a war paint minnow. 2013 I am moving houses and give my scientific angler combo to a friend and decided to keep the good rod for myself, St. Croix triumph. 2015, I decided to give this a real effort and reread my books, Click! I get it! Casting becomes graceful and slow, relaxing even! Buy a new vise (anvil apex) and order quality hooks, materials, and tools. Made a trip to PA (May 2015) and took the St. Criox, caught rainbows and bookes, met some other fly anglers and got some tips. Things are really coming together at this point, so here I am!

That’s from when I joined the board around May 2015. Since then I went down the road of buying different rods, reels, learning to cast, trying to understand bugs and fish habitat and behavior…but mostly reading the board, asking questions, and posting (get involved, the learning curve shortens)! *met a ton of great people, and many more to come I’m sure)*

I now feel like I have the gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) under control (in the rod and reel department) for the time being. I have settled in on two favorite rods for the time being a 4 (echo glass) and 8 (Allen prelude) weight, even though I now own a 3,4,5,6, and 8. I feel like I understand what I need in a rod, reel, and line, so it is time for me to expand my knowledge in bugs and fish behavior. I plan to meet and give away some of those combos to local folks, to get a new person into the sport.

You may have noticed I started the “Fly of the Month”, I learn by doing, so for me to research a “bug” and then do a write up, helps me learn. When I began fly fishing I saw 100s -1000s of flies, not really understanding that each (for the most part) was designed to imitate a particular “bug”…

So here we go! Coming up on my First year in fly fishing and I feel like it this next year will be even more productive! I plan to spend a lot of time around the vise and fishing!

See ya around,

citationsquirrel

Reaction score
It is a pleasure to meet you DW (or re-meet you ... or whatever ... :D ). I always enjoy reading your posts. May each successive year of fly fishing be better than your last.

kayo

Reaction score
Welcome to your new life time addiction. You got to love it. I been doing this since the 70s. I'm now started the world of spey fishing. It never ends. Enjoy.

chechem

Reaction score
I'm in Oxford, 4 minutes to your west (and closer to the Wyoming streams!).

Enjoyed your intro. Keep posting, including photos of your fish. :welcome:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dustin: I enjoyed reading your intro and as the others have said, you are a great addition to the forum and we all love reading your posts, especially the work you put in on the fly of the month, congrats! As I've said before, you are more then welcome to come out to Wyoming and chase trout with me.

ezduzit

Reaction score
Dustin: I enjoyed reading your intro and as the others have said, you are a great addition to the forum and we all love reading your posts, especially the work you put in on the fly of the month, congrats! As I've said before, you are more then welcome to come out to Wyoming and chase trout with me.
Larry's only saying that because it's true. ;)

dc410

Reaction score
Great late intro, Dustin. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I've particularly liked the "Fly of the Month" thread. Congrats on that as it continues to get a lot of posts with some really great patterns. As some others have said, I have over 35 years into flyfishing and the learning never ends. It really only seems to continually gain momentum especially with online communities like this one. Welcome aboard, Dustin - keep up the good work!

chechem

Reaction score
Typo. I meant "40 minutes closer to Wyoming".

Either way, you and I have to drive for 24 hours to get those perfect mountain streams. At least the highways are good and gas is cheap!

:wavetowel

chechem

Reaction score
Chechem, that cheap gas scares me! $1.47 at the usually highest place in town...my truck likes it though!
That's what I paid last night in Oxford.

I was parked next to a guy with a big suburban. He said it held 65 gallons!
He was smiling.

I may try fishing the Spring River (Arkansas) next weekend. Supposed to be warmer by then. You?

onemississipp

Reaction score
I'm south bound next weekend and for a week...I need to make a trip to Arkansas, I'll have to start my research...the crappie are coming to life this time a year...for those local waters