Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: A "Wannabee" Fisherman from PA

1. Default A "Wannabee" Fisherman from PA

Hello all , checking in from Johnstown/Altoona area in PA.
    Newbie , just thought flyfishing looked cool and thought I would try it out.So far I have been having fun not knowing what in the world I'm doing!!!! But I travel around on my Motorcycle and find places to fish , so I am having fun so far.
    "I sure wish I knew what I was doing"

Blog Entries

Default Re: A "Wannabee" Fisherman from PA

Welcome to the forum as well as the sport. Enjoy!!!
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Hi Wannabee,
    I'm just down 'the mountain' from Johnstown; ya' know, between Pleasantville and Fishertown on 56. It's thirty miles to Johnstown and 35 to Altoona; so, are you on the Cresson stretch between Jtown and Altoona? Anyway, there's a ton of good fishing around here. Got any places in particular that you're interested in fishing?

4. Default Re: A "Wannabee" Fisherman from PA

Hey Greenwood!
    I live in Portage.I have lived in the area for a couple of years(I am from Ocean City , MD) So I only know of a couple places , Wilmore Dam , Glendale , Bob's Creek.I hear the guys I work with talk about alot of places , but have no idea where there are!!!
    As far as interested in fishing , any place that can accomodate a FNG with little to no experience!!!

Hi,
    I only live a few miles from Bobs Creek. I'm actually very close to the Reynoldsdale Fish Hatchery, if you know where that is.

The upper stretches of Bobs Creek are good for native brookies (Class A water); there's Yellow Creek in the New Enterprise area; Clear Shade in the Central City area; and there is the Little Juniata River by Spruce Creek as well as Spruce Creek itself. Then, of course, if you head towards State College you've got Penns Creek, Fishermans Paradise, Spring Creek and Fishing Creek! All of that's within an hour of Portage I'd say. I'm heading up to Pine Creek and Kettle Creek in late May with two guides from your area. (Can you tell I like fishing moving water?!)

If you want to try one, I'd say that Yellow Creek is one of the easier ones to fish as a beginner. It's catch and release so the fish are somewhat educated but it's a nice stream to learn presentation on. Casting distances are moderate. Bob's Creek is nice too, but it's a mountain stream with a lot of overhead branches. About the only casting involved there is roll casting. I think I'm going to head to Yellow Creek on Tuesday (or I could do Bob's as well); If you're interested sometime, let me know.

Hello Wannabee,
    Enjoy the forum, and have a lot of fun fishing.

Welcome to the group!
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

8. Default Re: A "Wannabee" Fisherman from PA

Thanks for the welcomes!
    Greenwood , I will keep you in mind (if you don't mind a complete rookie being around!) I work alot ( I am a Roto-Rooter man) I just never know what my schedule will be.
    I would be very interested in learning some spots to fish , as well as observing someone that has a hang of the sport.

Yeah....I had the hang of it today! There was this one tree.................

10. Default Re: A "Wannabee" Fisherman from PA

I am a newbie as well and luckily I know a few guys that are nuts about Fly Fishing and have agreed to take me under their wing.

Let's Kill em!!!!!