Question about Trout Leaders / Tippets

Reaction score
General Info

Name Dan

Location Mass / Southern New Hampshire

Experience (first year)

Target species (Trout)

I have been trying to pre-tie a few tippets inclusive of the Fly and or Fly's that I am planning on using. I would like to be able to change between multiple rigs by connecting at the fly line with a perfection loop. What material should I use to make the connection between my graduated tippet
4/5/6 to the fly line. Can I simply use a larger piece of tippet material like a 2? It seems very difficult to create a perfection loop with piece of 4-6 x tippet.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

I have re-read you post several times and I think there is a little confusion. I am not sure if you are wanting to tie different leaders to the fly line or different tippets with out a leader or different tippets to a leader.

Just for clarification the butt of the leader fastens to the end of your fly line. There are different ways to accomplish this. The end of a tapered leader that the fly ties to is the tippet. A tippet does not fasten to the fly line. I really want to help you but I need you to restate what you want to accomplish. I think you want to fasten a leader to the fly line by using a perfection loop. Do you use a tapered leader?

If you have not read the post in the FAQ about leaders you might want to do that. Leaders

Frank

Reaction score
Frank,

Thanks for taking the time to review this question.

What I was trying to do was to set up several tippets and leaders per the suggestion of a local fly shop owner. The gentleman from the fly shop was showing me how to connect different sizes of tippet together to form a graduated tippet as opposed to purchasing multiple tapered leaders every time a break a tippet while snagged on a log or tree etc. As you know beginning fly casters can and often do get snagged on anything within a 40 ft radius I think where I am confused is really at the point where my post confused you. I understand how to make connect the various sizes of tippet together, but how do I replace the larger butt section of the leader, can I use a large diameter piece of Tippet material?

The whole point of the excercise was two fold.

1 Practice linking tippet material in controled environment (Home) to spend more time fishing while at the stream.
2. Minmize the need to purchase tapered leaders

It seems I must have misunderstood what the fly shop owner was trying to show me. This is all new to me and there is so much information to digest. I hope this clears up the orignal question.

Thank you

Dan

shorthaul

Reaction score
Hi Dan

it sounds like he was having you tie a loop in a piece of tippet that was appropriate for the flies that you intend on using and pretie the fly on the tippet---kind of like a snelled fly, so to speak ---when(or if) you lose a fly just do a loop to loop connection on the tippet to the loop in your leader and you are ready to go.

if my eyes get any worse---i maybe be doing the same sooner than later.

mike

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi 3332,

If I understand correctly you want to tie your own leaders at home and fasten them to the fly line with a loop. Here is how to go about that.

First you need to know that the leader is made up of three basic parts. The butt, the body and the tippet. The butt fastens to the fly line and the tippet fastens to the fly. The body will be made up of more than one piece of leader material. Here is a link that gives you formulas for tying your own leaders. It will be much easier to follow one of these formulas rather than trying to make you own formula. It is very important that you pay attention to the diameter of the leader sections in the chart.

To prepare the fly line to connect your leader, you need to add a short section of leader material to the end of the fly line. The diameter of this leader material needs to be a few thousands larger than the diameter of your leader butt. For a 6wt fly line and smaller, a .023 to .025 size of leader material will work fine. Tie a short section of the .025 leader material to the fly line using a nail knot. Then tie a perfection loop into the .025 line so the leader material is about 6" long.

So you now have your fly line with a 6" section of .025 on the end with a perfection loop in the end. You now have a loop on the fly line that you can loop on your home made leaders.

I think the above should get you started. If you are serious about tyeing your own leaders you need to buy one of the kits that include all of the leader material you need to tie leaders.

Dan, being a beginner I think you would be much better off buying the knotless tapered leaders. It eliminates a lot of problems you might have with tyeing your own leaders. With a knotless tapered leader you can cut off the first 20" and tie a perfection loop in the end of the shorten leader. If you started with a leader that has a 5X tippet you can take 5X tippet material and loop it to the end of the shorten leader. As you break off flies or tie on new flies you will start using up the tippet you looped on. All you have to do is remove the shorten tippet and replace it by looping on new 5X tippet material. Make you loops as small as you can tie with ease. One knotless tapered leader will last a long time used in this manner.

Frank

Reaction score
Frank,

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly. I realize that buying the tapered leaders is the better way to go and that is infact what I do for the most part, but as a beginner I am using this excercise as a way of becoming more proficent with knots. That and I sort of like the idea of being able to build the line from it's most elemental pieces. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Reaction score
Mike,

I was concerned more with the butt end of the leader, but I like your idea. Every little bit helps, until I can train my fingers to work with these tiny knots.

Thanks

Dan

Joni

Reaction score
Frank,

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly. I realize that buying the tapered leaders is the better way to go and that is infact what I do for the most part, but as a beginner I am using this excercise as a way of becoming more proficent with knots. That and I sort of like the idea of being able to build the line from it's most elemental pieces. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

3332, tell you the easiest way, pm me your address and I will send you a FURLED leader, this could solve the first problem.
As to your second problem, just tie a fly on 18 to two feet of tippet or regular mono or better yet, fluoro (much cheaper than fly tippet). 4 lb should be good. Put a perfection loop or if that is too hard try a simple Surgeon's Loop. It won't hang as straight as a perfection, but not sure that will be all that important.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I am headed out this weekend with a guide from the NH fish and game. I hope he can teach me a few things and improve my performance.

Thanks

Dan