Hello from the Carolinas

mitchellb

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself to everyone today in my first post since finding and joining this forum. I'm retired now with a new interest in learning to tie flies (and cast them), and ran across this forum in a Google search for more information. I've fished since I was old enough to hold a rod. My first love was bass fishing with various artificial baits. Spinning reels and baitcasting levelwinds were my favorite fishing combos, but seldom wanted to use pushbutton spincasting outfits. I tried fly fishing many years ago, but never quite got comfortable casting with the cheap outfit I purchased in the 70s, but even then, I tried tying my own flies without any proper tools, young eyesight and the exuberance of stupidity. My casting woes I'll partly blame on my surroundings as I never developed the ability to use the fly rod under the jungle of Kudzu, overhanging trees and brush that blanketed most of the water near me. However, now that I am retired, I got more time on my hands to learn to properly cast and discovered I would like to learn to tie my own flies when setting at home this winter. So I bought a new rod, fly vise and some basic tools to begin the journey. I look forward to reading and learning from all of you on this forum. Thank you.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, mitchell. Lots of information and people willing to share on here.

steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mitchell
Welcome to the forum!
We're glad that you have joined us, you will find a ton of fly fishing information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the Search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions.

Note: When using the Search function, in the pop up window, select "Advanced Search" you will find that you get much better results that way.