well, i dun did it

ratherfish

Reaction score
I have been creeping in on you guys for a little while now; I told myself I wasn't going to join another forum, I probably belong to six others - shooting, hunting, John Deere's, gardening. So let me start off with this

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm addicted to stuff. So much stuff I got too much stuff, but I can't let it go because I know I will return. I was plumb outta fly fishing some 25 years ago and a stupid buddy of mine hired a guide out of boredom while on a Branson vacation and he got hooked and that dirty scoundrel lured me back in. Now I'm hooked again.

Drug out all my stuff. Opened up my fly tying gear, put it back and ran down to the store and bought some flies. I live in a community of 1 acre lots, nice little place, it has a few ponds - I happen to live on one and two others are just across the street. So that has been my practice areas, to get back in the swing of things. Been catching some gills, one small bass. Went and bought some new line, leader, tippet, flies, costa sunglasses, and two Tilly's.

I am not sure how long I'll last right now, after all we are just approaching hunting season, right. But I hope to stay engaged better this time around.

Won't bore you with anymore, but I may start commenting on threads now.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Ratherfish, big welcome to the forum. Sounds as though you live in an area with those ponds so close, it could only wet your appetite for more, as in rivers and streams all the way to the big blue sea if you choose to take it that far.

Glad to see you return to the sport, and I hope this time you stick around longer.

What style do you prefer, dries, nymphs, streamers, or plugs ( since you mentioned bass )? Or all the above ?

ratherfish

Reaction score
Ratherfish, big welcome to the forum. Sounds as though you live in an area with those ponds so close, it could only wet your appetite for more, as in rivers and streams all the way to the big blue sea if you choose to take it that far.

Glad to see you return to the sport, and I hope this time you stick around longer.

What style do you prefer, dries, nymphs, streamers, or plugs ( since you mentioned bass )? Or all the above ?
Actually I prefer dries; like bass fishing top-waters, best have a good heart. Ya, I got a bass boat, one of those guys.... As for fly-fishing I started out on nymphs, so I have a passion for those too. The only two flies I've ever tied is a pheasant tail and a squirrel tail (for bass fishing spinner-baits). Been to Canada over 20 times fishing for smallies and pike and walleye, most mostly the smallies. Never took a fly rod, just bass gear. I did catch a gill on a foam hopper today.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

And don't know what a streamer is or what sprey fishing is yet.... much to learn.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

So 25 years ago when I was just but a whippersnapper in my mid 20's, my boss introduced me to fly-fishing. We lived in the KC area. He worked with me and another peer of mine and him and a more experienced bud of his coordinated a fly-fishing trip to MN. Oh my, I could write a book on how dumb them two were to take that challenge on. In my defense, I ended up looking pretty good compared to the other guy. My fly-fishing ended shortly offer that, it didn't ever last too long. So in all actuality, I am not far from a beginner now.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to fly fishing!
Spend some time here, you will learn a lot about the sport of fly fishing.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Welcome back to The Brotherhood of the Angle, Dan.
It's either in you or it isn't but if it is ..... it can not be denied. :D

Any good books folks can recommend for Dan's style, to tide him over and whet his appetite?

ratherfish

Reaction score
Add my welcome; good people here! Well a few of us are questionable.

Kidding aside, serious bunch of hard core fishie persons here. Welcome to an your new extended family.

Fred Evans
Ha! I imagine I will fit right in that "questionable" outlaw bunch just fine. Gotta a question so I need to go find where to ask it.

just4grins

Reaction score
Well, you did done it and you done it right. Like you I have been on a number of forums over the years and finally hung my hat here. It's a comfortable place, nope u stick around.
Roy "just4grins" welcome.