Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm an FNG

1. Default I'm an FNG

That is "Flyfishin' New Guy". Just moved back to Pittsburgh area and look forward to learning to tie and fly, I have done a lot of fresh and salt water fishing, but never enjoyed the simple joys associated with Fly Fishing. I have my grandfathers old Shakespeare Tru-Art Automatic reel and his Pfluegger Fiberglass rod to get me started. Just need to get the reel working again. LOL

L.J.

Default Re: I'm an FNG

Welcome to flyfishing!

The old automatics are pretty heavy and dont make a balanced outfit--i started out with a shakespeare "ok" model. If it wont work, replace it with a simple single action reel----besides, you need to find a local fly shop to start shoveling your free cash into.
    "something is happening here but i dont know what it is"---dylan

3. Default Re: I'm an FNG

Thanks. I tried playing with the reel tonight, but I think it is just to gunked from sitting for almost 30 years. I don't want to break it, so... Guess I got to go begin my initiation into the ultimate joy of fly fishing........spending money. LOL

L.J.

Hi there;
    I'm from Western PA too; about 90 miles east on the Pike. This will be the most fun money you'll spend! Lots of good trout fishing in the state ...and plenty within an hour or two drive from you.

5. Default Re: I'm an FNG

Thanks for the welcome. There are a few spots I have picked out. My family used to own the cottage by the covered bridge on Neshanock Creek by New Wilmington in Lawrence Co. Though I never use a fly rod, I do know that crick quite well. Also, the Queens Creek up by Tionesta off Rte 666. Yes, there is a Rte 666 in PA. I never fished it as I was always there during deer season only, but remember reading that Field and Stream named it one of the best in Pa., if not the Northeast. Hope that is still true.

Lee

There are a few others around there that I fished 20 years ago---Blue jay, bear creek, ross run(a tornado changed it around), beaver, east hickory and salmon creeks are a few. Nashanock is on my list and Ive heard good things about it in our FFF group. Good Luck!
    "something is happening here but i dont know what it is"---dylan