Hello from across the pond!

themind

Reaction score
Hi all,

our UK forum is being upgraded at the moment so I thought I would take the opportunity to have a look at this, our sister forum since my login also works here. First time I have looked at it and I must say its great. Fly fishing in the UK is on a bit of a downward spiral at the moment so its wonderful to see a vibrant community here.

Looks like I will be spreading myself across the Atlantic from now on!

Steve

spm

Reaction score
Welcome, Steve.

At the risk of sounding boastful, we do have a good group, here. Just curious, why is fly fishing on a down-swing, in the UK?

steve

themind

Reaction score
Welcome, Steve.

At the risk of sounding boastful, we do have a good group, here. Just curious, why is fly fishing on a down-swing, in the UK?

steve
I think its a combination of things really. Cost is a huge one thats stopping kids getting into the sport and combined with a lack of rivers in the southern half of England at least. Many of the still waters just couldn't make it pay and have turned to carp fishing. Many of the better clubs and syndicates seem very protective of their fishing and only reply to emails when they suddenly realise their membership have all died. Because of the lack of rivers, still waters have always been big here but they got caught up in the stocked fish size oneupmanship in terms of size, especially the small still waters and thats meaning that many charge £50 plus for a 2 fish limit, catch and kill only and you must stop after catching those 2 fish. Finally I think the UK is behind the US in catch and release, too many fisheries here force you to kill your catch. Personally I think trout too often tastes of mud, or fish pellets if its a stocky, so many of the local still waters are off the cards to me.

Steve

kevind62

Reaction score
I'm hearing the same from friends abroad. Not only cost of fishing permission, but cost of equipment. That's one of the many complaints I get from friends who live in UK and EU. It's getting too expensive for the average person to afford over there. Two to three times each year I'm bringing something over to a colleague for himself or a friend. I usually get it in the US for close to half and sometimes even less than half the cost of what you are paying for the same products. Shipping and VAT's are killing your future fly fishers over there. We hit a sale here on Sage equipment once. My colleague purchased a rod, reel, backing, line, tippet, hard case, vest, and a nice Fishpond landing net all for what it would have cost him for the rod alone had he tried to get it there. Crazy. Years ago a colleague purchased several laptop computers for his children who were getting ready to start college. He said if the price in USD is $1000 then it's price in UK is £1000. And it was rare to find things "on sale".

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
So true Kevin, sooo true!

'Mother Board' member purchased a high end rod (on sale here) and paid less than half of what it would have cost in the UK. Cost me $22.00 to package up and send on.:plane: 'Pay Back?' A huge box of excellent English teas!! Here, the good teas, cost a bloody fortune!

fae

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Steve and welcome to this part of the forum!

:welcomean

If you want to get into some good fishing c'mon over to this side of the pond for a couple weeks!

Denny