New member from Ontario

Swish

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been lurking for a while and decided to join this community. Just like others I’m a member on a few other forums and debated whether to join another. Here I am!
Some history
I’m 46, live in SW Ontario on the shore of Lake Huron,I started fly fishing when I was 19, fished the Grand for browns quite a bit and some local rivers,and lakes in the north for -+5 lb brook trout.
Moved to Vancouver,never did any salmon fishing but lots of mountain lakes and streams for cut throats and bows.
Moved back to Ontario and with 2 younger kids kinda stopped fly fishing. Took the kids out lots for pan fish and whatever would bite.
I have been fishing on Lake Huron for the last 12 years,taking the kids out when ever they wanted. They are now 20;18 and 16. Boy in the middle.
We volunteer quite a bit at the local hatchery,raising bows and browns.
Not sure what happened to me about a month ago but the flies have bitten me again and rekindled the flame!!
So here I am, I have bought some breathable waders,what a dream compared to my duck hunting neoprene waders. Went through my gear,pulled my rods out of their tubes and put them together. It all came back, lots of memories of fish lost and landed.
Sorry for the babble, I usually don’t say much,
Tight lines and maybe get a chance to hook up with some of yous.
Dave

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Dave. Great introduction. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

steve

huronfly

Reaction score
Welcome Dave, I am also from Kincardine. You likely know my wife Rachel from working at the hatchery, and maybe even myself. Does your last name begin with Char by any chance? :D Such a small world...

I fish locally for resident trout and pike quite a bit, pier casting in town, and mainly spey fish for the steelhead, except for our little river in the spring I like to fish nymphs. What species/techniques are you looking to get back into?

Last edited:

Swish

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys,
Hey Danny, yea I know Rachel and met you in February I guess it was. Small world for sure.
As for the fishing, I’ve got a 4 and 6 weight, both Fenwick HMG’s.
I’ve never been picky about what type of flies to fish, I tie my own and fish every type. Whatever will put a fish in my hand. Dries,nymphs,love wooly buggers. I’ve caught some nice browns on them.
Float tube fishing out west was the same,dries in the shallows and sinking nymphs in the deeper water.
My buddy and I used to fish the Maitland quite a bit and some small creeks on it. Resident bows, specs and browns in the small tribs. Not sure what the fishery is like now but I guess there is always the warm water fishery.
My plan this year is to float down the geen in the canoe. Take 3 or 4 days,start just down river of Durham.
Let me know if you want to hit the big lake anytime, Tanner is farming for Snobelens so he won’t likely be around too much.
Dave.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dave
Welcome to the forum!
That was a great intro and I'm glad you know Danny. I'm looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures and maybe you can help me with my stillwater fishing. I'm not very good at it, but last year with our high water it was about all there was to do. I had pretty good success fishing nymphs, streamers and buzzers beneath the surface, but at times there was lots of surface action and I could never figure out how to hook a fish on the surface.

huronfly

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys,
Hey Danny, yea I know Rachel and met you in February I guess it was. Small world for sure.
As for the fishing, I’ve got a 4 and 6 weight, both Fenwick HMG’s.
I’ve never been picky about what type of flies to fish, I tie my own and fish every type. Whatever will put a fish in my hand. Dries,nymphs,love wooly buggers. I’ve caught some nice browns on them.
Float tube fishing out west was the same,dries in the shallows and sinking nymphs in the deeper water.
My buddy and I used to fish the Maitland quite a bit and some small creeks on it. Resident bows, specs and browns in the small tribs. Not sure what the fishery is like now but I guess there is always the warm water fishery.
My plan this year is to float down the geen in the canoe. Take 3 or 4 days,start just down river of Durham.
Let me know if you want to hit the big lake anytime, Tanner is farming for Snobelens so he won’t likely be around too much.
Dave.
I've never fished the maity tribs for resident trout, but spend a good 6 months of the year chasing steel there... it would be interesting to see the state of the creeks you used to fish, likely not quite what they used to be, but you never know, I just don't hear of a lot of people fishing them. Most of the creeks I fish are geen tribs, in around mildmay, and over towards Durham. That canoe float sounds like an awesome time!

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to take you up on that some day. I also intend on getting a boat sometime soon so I can fly fish the outflow this time of year... Streamers on sink tip or sinking lines have worked good for me in the past out there. Let me know if you ever want to try some of those Maity tribs, or anywhere else with the fly rod. Ill send you a PM with my contact info.

Cheers

Swish

Reaction score
Hey Larry,
I’m by no means an expert. I’ve probably forgotten more than I remember. I guess it’s like riding a bike, you never forget, just a bit rusty.

Still lots of ice around. The local river was opened up last week. May have to pull out some Babine specials and float a few down the river.
We were in Riverton a few years ago hunting antelope. Had a great time and harvested some nice animals.
I’ll be sure to share my adventures.
I fished a mountain lake North of Goldbridge when I was in BC. Sounded the same. All kinds of surface action but I never caught one fish. It was a small lake, maybe 20 acres if I remember correctly. I was float tubing, there were so many scuds and leeches you could run your hand through the water and scoop both of them up.
I’m thinking there was so much feed it was tough for them to pick out my offering.
It was a nice spot.