I live in Florida and I can't catch a fish

samanich

Reaction score
Hey there,

My Name is Sam. I'm from Dallas TX, went to college in NC, and now I'm in Sarasota, Florida. AND... I now have a (unfulfilled, but we'll get to that in a second) fly rod.

I grew up floating the White River in Southern Missouri and always loved watching the graceful casts of fly fishermen as I canoed by. Then, in college, my photo professor would go fly fishing in the small streams near campus after class and it really made me want to try it out. Plus, two of my biggest hobbies are hiking and photography so fly fishing seemed to mesh perfectly with those. Long story short, I finally bought a cheap fly rod outfit (Shakespeare 5/6 8ft) because I figured a cheap rod is better than none at all.

But, I need help. This rod is unfulfilled because I can't seem to catch a fish. I just got home from taking it out for the third time, and this outing was the most disappointing. I was fishing in Phillippi creek, a small-ish creek that runs through Sarasota and feeds into the bay and holds some decent fish (saw a few 3-foot snook my last time out). This time, I got to the creek in the middle of a feeding frenzy with some fish I couldn't identify (new to the area (and fishing)) but there must have been at least a dozen of them with an alligator gar cruising around for good measure. They were mostly feeding sub surface but would occasionally rise.

I got excited that I might finally catch something, so first up was an Adams which I tried for about 20 minutes. Tried dead-drifting and giving small tugs but nothing hit it. So, I switched to a nymph (that I don't remember the name of). Tried that for about 10 minutes before realizing I don't actually know how to fish a nymph. I tried a combo of dead drifting and giving small tugs again, but nothing. Finally switched back to dry with a bigger mayfly than the Adams, gave it the same treatment with no nibbles. By then it was dark and I decided to head home. Bummed I didn't catch anything but it was a nice evening and I got to watch the sunset, so I broke even.

Any tips or ideas why I've been getting skunked? The fish are there, the fish are feeding, just not on what I'm offering. Tonight I tried casting to different spots, drifting it right to where they were feeding but they paid it no attention.

It's frustrating, but I'm still having fun doing it, so definitely have no plans of quitting. I want to become passable before July because I know I'll be in Denver so I will definitely be using that opportunity to do some stream fishing in the Rockies.

Thanks everyone!

Sam

P.S.
As I type this, my dog mocks me with her biggest catch of the day
IMG_3018.jpg

kevind62

Reaction score
Southern freshwater creeks and rivers are much different than mountain streams and rivers. If you're fishing top water you might want to switch to poppers. You'll have much better luck. For nymphs you'll want to go flashy, copper johns, various flashback flies, and such. And streamers, wooly boogers, leach patterns with flash, etc.

samanich

Reaction score
I've fished still water with a pan popper, but I thought that was mostly for bass and panfish, which I haven't seen any of in this creek. But, if they're attractive to more than those then I'll give them a try!

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,Sam.
You need to try and identify the fish you seen there and then use fly's for that type fish.Some fish will not hit just any fly.If you are targeting the snook then try a few snook flies like these.
snook fly - Google Search

You can also ask some of the local fisherman to get an idea what they are using.

mikechell

Reaction score
First of all ... welcome to the site, samanich.
Second ... no Alligator Gar in Sarasota. Longnosed Gar, most likely.
Phillippi Creek appears to be canal fed, which probably means it's mostly brackish water. As you noted, salt water and fresh water fish side by side. I think you need to look at streamers, large and small and duplicate the bait fish, crabs and shrimp that are more likely food sources than insects.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
"I live in Florida and I can't catch a fish"

Simple. Move to CO. NEEEXXXXT!

Just kidding. You're going to get a pile of info/advice here in a little while, and I'm honestly not conversant in fly-fishing in FL, so I'll limit myself to one piece of advice.

Google for the best fly shop in your area, get the address and get over there before your next trip out to the water.

Go in and plan on buying about $30-$50 worth of flies and ask some questions. Explain your situation, and ask about your particular piece of water, like what flies fish well at this time of year. And don't limit yourself to the employees. Sometimes the customers have better info (sometimes they spend more time on the water you're visiting). Plus you just might get an invite to tag along with one of them. that's like gettting a guide at a severe discount.

P.S. if you do ever get invited, don't forget to bring a 12-pack of beer as a gratuity. that usually gets you invited to another fishing trip.

Monello

Reaction score
See if you can find a pond that has some bluegills in it. Still water is a good place to learn fly fishing. There's no drag involved. Just cast and work your fly back. Good luck.

samanich

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,Sam.
If you are targeting the snook
I'm afraid a snook would make quick work of my 4x leader if I hooked one so I wasn't trying too hard for them. Plus, my casting was so sloppy that there was no chance of getting one anyway.

As far as identifying those fish, they were 14in average I'd say, so bigger than mullet. They were silver, long bodies. Maybe they were channel catfish? Some were pretty darn big. I didn't notice whiskers but I also wasn't looking for them. I was too busy trying to get my fly untangled from the plants I back-cast into and cursing at myself that I lost two quill gordons.

Second ... no Alligator Gar in Sarasota. Longnosed Gar, most likely.
Phillippi Creek appears to be canal fed, which probably means it's mostly brackish water. As you noted, salt water and fresh water fish side by side. I think you need to look at streamers, large and small and duplicate the bait fish, crabs and shrimp that are more likely food sources than insects.
You're probably right about the gar. All I know is that it was gar shaped and jet black. Pretty cool looking fish (but uninterested in my Adam's). There were some fist-sized crabs feeding on the creek bed. Does that indicate at all that my crawdad fly might have some luck? I also have some streamers like muddler minnows, a mickey finn, blacknose dace, and leeches. Maybe I'll give one or two of those a try next time.

samanich

Reaction score
Google for the best fly shop in your area, get the address and get over there before your next trip out to the water.

Go in and plan on buying about $30-$50 worth of flies and ask some questions. Explain your situation, and ask about your particular piece of water, like what flies fish well at this time of year. And don't limit yourself to the employees. Sometimes the customers have better info (sometimes they spend more time on the water you're visiting). Plus you just might get an invite to tag along with one of them. that's like gettting a guide at a severe discount.

P.S. if you do ever get invited, don't forget to bring a 12-pack of beer as a gratuity. that usually gets you invited to another fishing trip.
This is good advice! Most of the fishing shops around my house are aimed at saltwater fishing and they're the first ones to tell you that when asked about freshwater flies. There is one guy that works at one of them near me that is pretty knowledgeable and helpful. My first time I went in there he hooked me up with some small poppers because I was planning on just fishing the small suburban ponds for a while. He told me he would tie some flies for me and give them to me next time I come in, but he wasn't there when I got a chance to go back.

I think there are some more dedicated fly shops up near Tampa, maybe in St. Pete too. In the shops around here, I always get "you want to FRESHWATER fish?"

Truth be told, I think Florida is only temporary. I moved here after graduation to work as an EMT while I try to get into medical school and I don't forsee myself spending my whole life here. After living in Western NC I got addicted to the mountains so as soon as I get a chance to move back to North Carolina or Colorado, adios Florida. Freshwater fishing is what I'll be doing there so that's what I want to learn now.

mikechell

Reaction score
Fishing is fishing. You have a chance to experience salt water, take it. Lose the light tippets for now. Go with 10 pound test mono and bait fish and crustacean flies and catch some fish. As you said, you're learning how to cast. Casting for shoreline salt water fish is the same as casting for Small Mouth Bass Western North Carolina or Trout in Colorado.
And, when you get to one of those places, and people ask, "Did you catch any Snook while you were down there?"
You can answer, "Yes."

brownbass

Reaction score
This is good advice! Most of the fishing shops around my house are aimed at saltwater fishing and they're the first ones to tell you that when asked about freshwater flies. There is one guy that works at one of them near me that is pretty knowledgeable and helpful. My first time I went in there he hooked me up with some small poppers because I was planning on just fishing the small suburban ponds for a while. He told me he would tie some flies for me and give them to me next time I come in, but he wasn't there when I got a chance to go back.

I think there are some more dedicated fly shops up near Tampa, maybe in St. Pete too. In the shops around here, I always get "you want to FRESHWATER fish?"

Truth be told, I think Florida is only temporary. I moved here after graduation to work as an EMT while I try to get into medical school and I don't forsee myself spending my whole life here. After living in Western NC I got addicted to the mountains so as soon as I get a chance to move back to North Carolina or Colorado, adios Florida. Freshwater fishing is what I'll be doing there so that's what I want to learn now.
Just because you like cake doesn't mean you can't enjoy pie as well. If you're in Florida enjoy it and make the most of it. I live in Missouri and fish for trout mostly but if I was offered a trip to Colorado or Florida to go fly fishing I head to Florida. I love the salt. I just returned to fly fishing a few years ago and understand your confusion. If your fishing brackish water, you should have some streamers and shrimp imitations. Some poppers would be fun and you can use them in fresh water as well. Foam spiders work great for panfish, be sure you can get some that sink, black and yellow or dark and light if you prefer work well. Your outfit should work though I would have preferred a heavier, longer rod for salty fish, your rod should be ok just use stronger tippets like 1x or2x. Practice your casting. Not while your fishing, just practise. You wouldn't want any pesky fish interupting you practise sessions.

samanich

Reaction score
I'm sure I will try saltwater fishing at some point, but right now all I have is a freshwater license. Didn't want to shell out twice as much to get a saltwater license as well.

But, if I did want to start saltwater fishing, do you think I could do that with my 5/6? Just swap out the 4x tippet for a 1x or 0x? I'm not really wanting to get a rod any bigger than this. If anything, I'm thinking about getting a smaller one eventually for small mountain streams and bluegills down here on still water.

Brownbass, I've spent a lot of time in Missouri. My mom's from down in the Ozarks but my family up there lives in St. Louis and Columbia now. I still spend about a week each summer at Lake Norfork in the Ozarks. I've caught some decent rainbows in the White River on a spinning rod. I haven't been back since I started fly fishing but I can't wait to give it a try!

mikechell

Reaction score
Unless you go out into the bay/gulf, your rod should be just fine.
Back when I was fishing salt in N.C., I never caught anything so large I couldn't stop it with the bass gear I was using.
If you hook something too large ... hang on until the tippet snaps and then replace it. As long as you have some part of your set-up with 20# test or less, your fly line and backing should be safe.

rc51sport

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
Ironically I moved from Sarasota 2yrs ago and I'm in NC now. If you get the chance to head to Pt. Charlotte, hit westwall outfitters. It's on 41. My cousin works there and gives fly tying lessons, they will be able to point you in the right direction. They even have a small brackish creek that runs right by there you can try out. Good luck!

pnc

Reaction score
Fly shops near coast are not likely to have freshwater equipment. And knowledge gained towards such will be from an individual's standpoint that might be on hand.
On the Fly, in Tampa is strictly saltwater oriented. There is a new shop in St Pete. That might help you. The owner builds bamboo rods. Not sure of the shops name.
Swans fly shop, is in Dade City. Jim Swan, is as close to being THE authority on freshwater in Florida as there could be. He's the guy looking like Santa behind the vise when you walk in. Should you get the time. Seeing a real fly shop is worth the trip.
Flies your using may be part of reason for the results your getting. The "sharpies" in the SFF use a white spider on #6 hooks. Small piece of foam and sili-legs. Dots on foam from marker. As their go to, in freshwater.
The SFF (Suncoast Fly Fishers) meet the third Thursday of every month. At the Walter Fuller recreation center in St Pete at 7pm. Not far from skyway. Guests are always welcome. Should you be able to attend. Stand up and introduce yourself, you'll be asked to. I 'll introduce myself, and then you to those who can help. We have members from all around the bay area. North & south.
Coming up in April is a multi club outing you might be intrested in. Freshwater canals along and north of alligator alley. Ending with fish fry on Saturday. Not up on details as of yet. Just added name for reservations list this past Saturday.

....... pc

brownbass

Reaction score
I'm sure I will try saltwater fishing at some point, but right now all I have is a freshwater license. Didn't want to shell out twice as much to get a saltwater license as well.

But, if I did want to start saltwater fishing, do you think I could do that with my 5/6? Just swap out the 4x tippet for a 1x or 0x? I'm not really wanting to get a rod any bigger than this. If anything, I'm thinking about getting a smaller one eventually for small mountain streams and bluegills down here on still water.

Brownbass, I've spent a lot of time in Missouri. My mom's from down in the Ozarks but my family up there lives in St. Louis and Columbia now. I still spend about a week each summer at Lake Norfork in the Ozarks. I've caught some decent rainbows in the White River on a spinning rod. I haven't been back since I started fly fishing but I can't wait to give it a try!
It's been some time since I was down in the sunshine state and I forgot you had to have separate licenses. I think if you stay in the canals you should be ok I fished the river at Marco Island with medium weight spinning gear and didn't catch anything you couldn't handle. I haven't fished any of the tailwaters yet. I spend my time on the Current, Meramec, and some of the small Blue Ribbon Creeks.

Bill

samanich

Reaction score
pnc... Thanks for the invite! I'll definitely try to make it up there sometime. It may have to wait a few months because between work, studying for the MCAT, and applying to med schools I'm lucky if I can spend 2 hours a week fishing. But after I take the MCAT in May I should have a lot more time and I'd love to come up there and learn something.

$17.00 for an annual salt water license ... you think that's too much to spend?
Not NEcessarily too much to spend, but I just spent that on a freshwater license and I'd rather put that money towards freshwater gear for the time being. I'll probably get one eventually.

Hey, Samanich ... are the Jacaranda Trees blooming, yet?
I don't think I've seen them blooming yet. The tabebuia are in full swing though.

samanich

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
Ironically I moved from Sarasota 2yrs ago and I'm in NC now. If you get the chance to head to Pt. Charlotte, hit westwall outfitters. It's on 41. My cousin works there and gives fly tying lessons, they will be able to point you in the right direction. They even have a small brackish creek that runs right by there you can try out. Good luck!
I'll see if I can make it down there. I see you're in gboro. Just graduated from Wake Forest right down 40 in Winston. You make it out to the smokies often? MY friend and I did a 75 mile backpacking trip through there a few years ago. It was before I had started fishing but it seems like there would be plenty of browns in all of those streams through there.